DC Crime Summary – December 30th – January 5th
• Unfortunately, 2015 was a violent year in the District. There were 162 homicides, which was a 54% increase compared to the previous year.
• While there have been no homicides this year, there have already been 10 assaults with a gun. This is a 20% increase compared to the same time last year.
• Ian Jerome Butts, 36 was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver on the morning of Friday, January 1st, in between Fort Dupont and Greenway. Authorities recovered the vehicle used in the incident; however, no suspect information is available at this time.
• Nathaniel Beasley, 24, was arrested and charged Friday, January 1st, with the fatal shooting of Deontray Ingram in September.
• A man was arrested in connection with the shooting death of Mohammed Mukta Abduselam, 37, in Congress Heights in 2011. Because the suspect was a juvenile at the time of the homicide, his name has not been released.
• Malik Marvin Lloyd, 25, was charged with driving under the influence Friday, January 1st, after he allegedly struck several people outside of a nightclub and left the scene of the incident.
• Photos were released of six persons of interest wanted in connection with a December attack on the Red Line of the Metro. According to reports, the victim was concussed and suffered a broken jaw at the time of the incident. Authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying and locating the suspects.
• A man riding on a Yellow Line train was stabbed in a robbery attempt near the U Street station on Tuesday. The assailant allegedly attacked the victim after he refused to give the suspect his property.
• A video was released of a man wanted for stealing a credit card from a DC firefighter and using the card at a restaurant. Authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying and locating the suspect.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
Unfortunately, 2015 was a violent year in the District. There were 162 homicides, which was a 54% increase compared to the previous year. • While there have been no homicides this year, there have already been 10 assaults with a gun. This is a 20% increase compared to the same time last year. • So far this year there have been 7 incidents of sexual abuse reported in the District. • There were 9 incidents of sexual abuse and 29 armed robberies with a gun reported this past week in DC. • Armed robberies with a gun have doubled compared to this time last year. • There were 672 total crimes in DC this past week including 124 violent crimes.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
Recent Crime News
NBC Washington: Man Cut in Attack on Metro Train Near U Street Station “A man sleeping on a Metro train near the U Street station was cut Tuesday night by a man who tried to rob him, Metro says. The Metro rider was nodding off on a southbound Yellow Line train headed from the Petworth-Georgia Avenue station when a man approached him about 7:40 p.m., a Metro representative said.”
Washington Post: Metro identifies juvenile suspect in Nov. 22 Green Line attack “Calvin Lawrence, 48, said his partner, Joseph Cowart, 43, was punched, kicked and called a gay slur repeatedly while being attacked by up to a dozen teenagers. The attack, which began near Fort Totten and continued four stops to the Shaw-Howard University station, started after Cowart attempted to intervene in the attempted robbery of a 14-year-old boy, Metro said.”
Washington Post: Ex-D.C. juvenile justice worker pleads guilty in $42 million tax-ID-theft ring “A former D.C. juvenile justice worker pleaded guilty Tuesday to helping steal at least $2 million in fraudulent federal income tax refunds by giving personal information about hundreds of youth offenders to an identity-theft ring operating out of the District and suburban Maryland.”
NBC Washington: Man Shot in Arm in Downtown DC; Investigation Closes Streets “A man was shot in the arm in downtown D.C. early Monday morning, and police closed streets for hours during the investigation. The victim, who was in a car, was shot by someone in another car about 3 a.m. near 18th and K streets NW, police sources tell News4.”
Washington Post: Man bites off fingertip of man who punched a woman at a New Year’s party “A New Year’s Eve celebration turned bloody after a man reportedly bit off another man’s fingertip during a fight at Dirty Bar in the Dupont Circle area, according to police. The fight, which the Borderstan blog first reported, occurred just after midnight on Jan. 1 on the third floor of the bar, located in the 1200 block of Connecticut Avenue NW during the establishment’s New Year’s Eve Dirty Gala 2016.”
Washington Post: Metro Transit Police looking for six individuals in connection with Red Line attack “Metro Transit Police are looking for six people in connection with a Dec. 21 attack on the Red Line. The agency said there are no warrants for the individuals referenced in the case, and listed them as persons of interest.”
Washington Post: Vehicle recovered in hit-and-run that killed D.C. father of four “Police have recovered a vehicle believed to be connected to a hit-and-run that occurred in Southeast D.C. on New Year’s Day, authorities said Sunday. Ian Jerome Butts, 36, was struck in a crosswalk about 4:10 a.m. Friday by a driver who fled. D.C. Police spokeswoman Aquita Brown said a vehicle is in police custody and is being examined for forensic evidence.”
Washington Post: Man injured in shooting in Southeast Washington “A man was shot in a Southeast D.C. neighborhood Sunday afternoon, police said. The man, who was conscious and breathing, was taken to a local hospital, according to D.C. Police spokeswoman Aquita Brown.”
Washington Post: Man shot in Southeast Washington “A man was shot in Southeast Washington late Friday night. Police said the shooting occurred about 11:35 p.m. in the 100 block of Wilmington Place SE, which is near the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue and Upsal Street.”
Washington Post: D.C. police arrest suspect in fatal shooting in September in Southeast “D.C. police on Friday arrested a suspect in the killing of a 22-year-old man who was shot in Southeast Washington in September, according to authorities. Nathaniel Beasley, 24, of no fixed address, was charged with second-degree murder while armed. Police said he was arrested on a warrant.”
NBC Washington: Woman Speaks After Violent Attack in Bloomingdale “A woman walking down a street in the Bloomingdale neighborhood of D.C. was pushed down a lower-level stairway before Christmas by a man who threatened to kill her and tried to rip off her shirt.”
Washington Post: Local Pepper spray used on woman by robber in Georgetown “A woman was robbed in Georgetown Monday night by a man who squirted pepper spray in her face and took her purse. Police said the attack occurred about 7 p.m. as the woman was walking through the Rose Park area in the 2600 block of Dumbarton Street NW.”
Crime Tip of the Week
With the New Year ahead of us, it may be a good idea to secure your bank and credit accounts. The news over this past year was filled with stories about hackers and fraud. To protect better protect your bank and credit accounts, keep in mind the following tips:
• Change your online passwords regularly. If you use the same passwords for every account, it becomes easier for hackers to tap into all of your accounts.
• Check our bank and credit statements everyday or every week. If something seems off, then notify your bank or credit card company immediately.
Posted January 08 2016 at 1:17 PM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link