DC Crime Summary – March 16th – 22nd
• There were 3 homicides reported this past week, bringing this year’s total to 24.
• There were 20 armed robberies with a gun this past week, and there have been 298 total so far this year in the District. This is a 73% increase compared to this time last year.
• There were 10 incidents of sexual assault reported this past week, and incidents of sexual assault have increased by 53% compared to this time last year.
• So far, there have been 956 gunshots reported this year, which is about 1 shot every two hours.
• Even though 2015 saw record violent crime in the District, this year is already on track to set new records. A contributing factor is the MPD manpower crisis that saw more than 817 officers leave the force since January 2014.
• Amanjane La-Shell Whitely, 18, died after she was repeatedly stabbed at a bus stop in Benning Terrace on Tuesday morning, March 22nd. A female teenager was arrested in connection with the incident.
• A video was released of two persons of interest wanted in connection with fatally shooting Darnell Lee Richardson, 29, near the Benning Road exit ramp along I-295. Authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying and locating the persons of interest.
• Aubrey Dansbury, 27, died after he was shot in Washington Highlands on March 9th. Anthony Wade, 29, was previously arrested in connection with the case.
• Paul Swann, 24, was arrested Friday, March 18th, in connection with the fatal shooting of Adam Barker, 21, in the Skyland neighborhood.
• Authorities are investigating a report that a female student was raped on the campus of Sidwell Friends School in McLean Gardens. According to reports, the student is a teenager, and the alleged perpetrator was a male student.
• Lynwood Anthony McClure, 35, was arrested after he allegedly pushed a woman to the ground and attempted to sexually assault her in a park that is a couple blocks away from Georgetown Law School.
• Authorities are searching for two men wanted for robbing and sexually assaulting a woman in the basement of a Barry Farm neighborhood building. According to reports, one of the suspects, armed with a gun, approached the victim as she was leaving the building and forced her into the basement.
• Two women were injured after they were stabbed by a man inside of a club in downtown DC early Monday morning. The victims were taken to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
There were 3 homicides reported this past week, bringing this year’s total to 24. • So far this year, there have been 66 incidents of sexual abuse reported in the District. • There were 10 incidents of sexual abuse and 20 armed robberies with a gun reported this past week in DC. • Armed robberies with a gun have increased about 73% compared to the same time last year. • There were 636 total crimes in DC this past week including 103 violent crimes.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
Recent Crime News
Washington Post: Young woman dies after being stabbed in Southeast Washington “A young woman who was stabbed Tuesday morning at a bus stop in the Southeast Washington neighborhood of Benning Terrace died later in the afternoon, according to D.C. police. The woman’s name was not immediately made public pending notification of relatives.”
Washington Post: Victim of March 9 shooting dies; suspect being charged in death “A man who was shot in Southeast Washington on March 9 has died, and his alleged assailant was being charged in the death, D.C. police said Tuesday. They said Aubrey Dansbury, 27, of Southeast was shot about 5:30 p.m. in the 800 block of Chesapeake Street SE, and died March 17.”
WUSA9: Male shot in Southeast, DC “A male was shot in Southeast, D.C. Tuesday afternoon, Metropolitan police said. The shooting involving a male, who may be a juvenile happened around 12:47 p.m. at Benning Road and E Street in Southeast, D.C., authorities said.”
Washington Post: Police investigating report of rape in Howard University residence hall “D.C. and Howard University police are investigating a report that a female student was raped by a classmate last month in a campus residence hall, according to the law enforcement authorities.”
WTOP: Tips to avoid being robbed amid uptick in incidents “There have been 680 robberies in D.C. so far this year, a 28 percent increase compared with the same period last year. While robberies are on the upswing in the city, there are ways to avoid being robbed.”
Washington Post: Police say woman was sexually assaulted, robbed in Southeast Washington “D.C. police are searching for two men who authorities said sexually assaulted and robbed a woman early March 18 in the basement of a building in Southeast Washington. Police said the attack occurred between 3 and 4 a.m. in the 2600 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue in the Barry Farm neighborhood.”
Fox5DC: 2 women stabbed inside DC nightclub “D.C. Police are investigating a double stabbing at a D.C. nightclub that left two women injured. Police say the two women were stabbed inside of the club ‘Bravo Bravo’ in the 1000 block of Connecticut Avenue just after 2 a.m. At this time, officers have no word on a motive or possible suspect.”
Washington Post: Man, 24, arrested in fatal shooting in Southeast Washington “A 24-year-old man has been arrested and charged in the fatal shooting of another young man in Southeast Washington. The incident happened Feb. 29 in the 2700 block of Langston Place SE. When police arrived, they found a man who was later identified as Adam E. Barker, 21, of Southwest Washington suffering from a gunshot wound.”
Washington Post: Juvenile arrested in connection with two bank robberies in SE D.C. “A young man has been arrested in connection with two bank robberies that happened in January in Southeast Washington. The incidents happened Jan. 19 — one about 9 a.m. at a PNC bank in the 4100 block of South Capitol Street SE and the other about 1:30 p.m. at another PNC bank, in the 2000 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE.”
WJLA: 2 people wanted for separate burglary, robbery crimes in D.C. “Metropolitan Police are searching for two people wanted for separate burglary and robbery crimes in Washington. Police said on March 3 an unidentified person walked into a building and stole money and electronic equipment in the 700 block of H Street in northeast Washington.”
NBC Washington: Delivery Companies Aim to Stop Package Thefts in DC “UPS says parts of the District are the worst in the region for package thefts. News4’s Jackie Bensen reports what UPS and other companies are doing to stop the thefts.”
Washington Post: D.C. police arrest third suspect in fatal Northeast Washington stabbing “D.C. police on Thursday arrested a third suspect in connection with a fatal stabbing in December in the District’s Langston-Carver neighborhood of Northeast Washington. Charles Edward McRae, 50, is charged with first-degree murder while armed. He could make an initial appearance in D.C. Superior Court on Friday.”
WJLA: Police release video in 295 at Benning Rd. homicide investigation “Police have released video in relation to a death investigation that took place Wednesday evening on 295. Wednesday, shortly after 9 p.m., a man was found dead in his vehicle with a gunshot wound on 295 at Benning Rd. Authorities say the shooting initially occurred on Benning Rd., but the driver was able to drive himself a short distance until coming to a stop at 295.”
Washington Post: Man arrested in attempted sexual assault in Northwest Washington “D.C. police have arrested a man who authorities said pushed a woman to the ground and tried to sexually assault her on Wednesday morning near a small park in Northwest Washington. Lynwood Anthony McClure, 35, of Northeast, was charged with assault with intent to commit first-degree sexual abuse. He could make an initial appearance in D.C. Superior Court on Thursday.”
Washington Post: Man found shot near highway exit has died, D.C. police say “A man who was shot Wednesday night inside a vehicle along D.C. 295 in Northeast Washington has died, D.C. police said Thursday. The victim has been identified as Darnell Lee Richardson, 29, of Cheverly, Md.”
Washington Post: D.C. police investigating report of rape at Sidwell Friends School “D.C. police are investigating a report that a female student at Sidwell Friends School was raped Wednesday by a male student on the campus of the elite private institution.”
Washington Post: Man shot, wounded in Washington Highlands in Southeast Washington “A man was shot and wounded Thursday morning in the Washington Highlands neighborhood of Southeast Washington, the fifth person shot in that community in the past three weeks, according to D.C. police.”
Fox5DC: ANC commissioner searching for solutions to end violence in Ward 8 community “One neighborhood leader in D.C. has had enough with the violence in his community and he is trying to make a difference. ANC commissioner Paul Trantham often arrives at crime scenes moments after the police. He said the violence must stop and he is reaching out to pastors and residents to find solutions in bringing peace to their neighborhood.”
Washington Post: Man found critically wounded in vehicle on Interstate in D.C. “D.C. police found a man critically wounded Wednesday night inside a vehicle along an exit from Interstate 295, officials said. Police were called for the report of a man down at an exit ramp for I-295 near Benning Road. They found the victim unconscious and not breathing inside a vehicle about 8:45 p.m., said Officer Hugh Carew, a police spokesman.”
Washington Post: At least 10 iPads stolen from elementary school in Congress Heights “The burglars looked determined as they raced through two brightly colored classrooms at a public charter school in Congress Heights, rummaging through toys and darting around small tables.”
WJLA: 2 people wanted for armed robbery at convenience store in Northeast D.C. “Metropolitan Police are searching for two people wanted for an armed robbery at a convenience store in northeast Washington. Police said the robbery took place on February 29 in the 2400 block of Rhode Island Avenue, NE.”
Crime Tip of the Week
As reported by NBC Washington, UPS is devising ways to stop package thefts in the District. With this said, there are precautions you can take to prevent any of your deliveries from being stolen. Here they are:
• Package thefts are crimes of opportunity. Thus, it is important to limit the opportunity of thieves. By requesting a signature for delivered packages, you can prevent them from being left at your doorstep.
• Additionally, you can request to pick up packages at a local UPS or USPS facility to minimize the risk of a stolen delivery.
• You can also install a camera by your front door. This may deter some thefts, while also providing authorities a way to identify and arrest thieves.
Posted March 24 2016 at 2:41 PM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link