DC Crime Summary – September 30th – October 6th
• There were 2 homicides this past week, bringing this year’s total to 122. Homicides have increased by 49% compared to this time last year.
• There was a triple shooting that left Jerome Leroy Wright, 32, fatally wounded Saturday morning, and the two other victims were taken to a local hospital. Witnesses said the suspect had long hair and was wearing all black clothing.
• Muhammad Washington, 20, was shot and killed Tuesday near the Minnesota Avenue Metro Station. No suspect information is available at this time, and authorities are investigating the incident.
• Patricia Jones, 31, was found dead Saturday morning in the Benning Ridge neighborhood. The cause of her death is undetermined, and authorities are investigating the incident.
• A woman was injured in a shooting near Dupont Circle Saturday night. No suspect information is available at this time, and authorities are investigating the incident.
• A juvenile male was shot Sunday afternoon in the Anacostia neighborhood. The victim was taken to a local hospital, and no suspect information is available at this time.
• Matthew Gross, 14, was reported as missing by DC Police. He was last seen September 25th near the Lincoln Heights neighborhood. Authorities are asking for the public’s help in locating him.
• Carlishae Lyles, 14, was described as critically missing by DC Police. She was last seen September 24th in the Deanwood neighborhood, and authorities are asking for the public’s help in locating her.
• Rayshawn Tillery, 21, was sentenced to three years in jail after he was convicted of robbing a fifth-grade teacher at knifepoint at Union Station.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
There were 2 homicides this past week, bringing this year’s total to 122. Homicides have increased by 49% compared to this time last year, while violent crime has increased in DC compared to the same time last year. • So far this year there have been 211 incidents of sexual abuse reported in the District. • There were 2 incident of sexual abuse and 26 armed robberies with a gun reported this past week in DC. • Armed robberies with a gun have increased by 11% and assaults with a gun have increased by 11% compared to this time last year. • There were 566 total crimes in DC this past week including 111 violent crimes.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
Recent Crime News
Washington Post: Man fatally shot Tuesday in Northeast Washington shortly before noon “A man was shot and killed Tuesday morning in Northeast Washington, the D.C. police said. The shooting occurred about a quarter to twelve in the 600 block of 42nd Street NE, according to Officer Hugh Carew, a police spokesman. The site is near a wooded tract in a largely residential area one half mile east of the Anacostia Freeway and the Minnesota Avenue metro stop.”
WJLA: Surveillance video released on persons of interest sought in Northeast assault with weapon “The Metropolitan Police Department has released surveillance footage of an assault with a dangerous weapon that occurred on Monday, Oct. 5. In the video, two men appear to confront another man exiting a gas station in the 2700 block of 7th St. NE.”
WUSA9: Man wanted in Northeast, DC burglary “Police are searching for a man who broke into a home in Northeast, D.C. on Friday afternoon. The burglary happened in the unit block of Girard Street in Northeast, D.C. around 1:15 p.m., according to Metropolitan police.”
Washington Post: Man charged with breaking into rooms at Washington Hilton hotel “A 44-year-old man has been arrested in connection with breaking into rooms at the Washington Hilton Hotel in Dupont Circle and stealing money, credit cards and other items from patrons as they slept, according to D.C. police.”
Washington Post: D.C. man sentenced to 3 years in robbery of a fifth-grade teacher “On May 1, Rayshawn Tillery, 21, of Northwest and an accomplice approached a fifth-grade social studies teacher who was carrying a backpack containing his students’ papers that he was taking home to grade, prosecutors said. The teacher refused to give up the backpack, and Tillery drew a knife, prosecutors said.”
Fox5DC: DC robbery victim wrestled gun from suspect, killed him “A weekend triple shooting in Northeast D.C. appears to be a case of self-defense from a robbery. Four people were walking in the 700 block of H Street around 1 a.m. Saturday when a man identified as Jerome Wright held them up at gunpoint. But according to a source close to the investigation, one of the victims fought back.”
WJLA: D.C. police investigate death of woman after falling from balcony “Police say they received a call for a woman down in the 100 block of G Street, Southwest. Upon arrival, an adult female was discovered unconscious in the parking lot. Police say she had fallen from a balcony.”
WUSA9: Person caught on camera stealing from person in walker “A person was caught on camera stealing from a person in a walker. According to police, the incident happened on September 12 in the 3000 block of Veazy Terrace in Northwest D.C. in a parking garage near a Giant grocery store.”
WUSA9: Robbery of Brookland &pizza caught on video “Two people were caught on camera robbing an &pizza location in Brookland, according to D.C. police. Police say the robbery happened on September 27 in the 600 block of Monroe Street NE at around 11:15 p.m.”
Washington Post: Juvenile shot in Southeast D.C. Sunday afternoon “A juvenile male was shot Sunday afternoon in Southeast Washington, D.C. police said. Police responded to the 2300 block of Good Hope Road SE, near the Anacostia First High Reservoir around 3:19 p.m., where they found the victim, said Aquita Brown, a police spokeswoman.”
Washington Post: Woman shot in Northwest D.C. Saturday night “D.C. police are investigating the shooting of a woman who was found a few blocks from Dupont Circle on Saturday night, authorities said Sunday. Police responded to reports of shots fired around 10 p.m., and found the wounded woman in the 1200 block of Connecticut Avenue NW, according to Aquita Brown, a police spokeswoman. ”
Washington Post: One dead, two others wounded after shooting on H Street NE “A man who apparently was a would-be robber was shot and killed early Saturday in the busy H Street corridor in an outburst of gunfire that left his intended victims wounded, D.C. police said. They said the incident occurred about 1 a.m. in the 700 block of H. According to one account, it may have occurred in an alley.”
WJLA: 14-year-old Northeast D.C. boy missing for a week “14-year-old Matthew Gross was last seen in the 4500 block of Eads St. NE on Friday, Sept. 25. The Metropolitan Police Department is asking for the community’s help in finding Gross and bringing him home. Gross is described as a black male, 5’2”, 95 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. A description of what he was last wearing is unknown.”
WUSA9: Shooting leaves 1 injured near DC recreation center “Emergency crews are responding to a shooting in Northeast D.C. that has left one person injured, police said. The shooting happened around 3 p.m. at 20th Street and Franklin Street, near the Langdon Park Community Center. Police said the victim an adult male, and is conscious and breathing.”
Washington Post: Defendants in D.C. criminal justice system to be tested for synthetic drugs “The federal agency responsible for testing defendants in the D.C. criminal justice system for drug use has begun testing for synthetic drugs, the agency announced Thursday.”
NBC Washington: 14-Year-Old Girl Missing From D.C. for Nearly a Week “D.C. police are searching for a missing 14-year-old girl they’ve described as critically missing. Carliashae Lyles was last seen Sept. 24 in the 800 block of 49th Street NE, police said Wednesday. Carliashae is about five feet, five inches tall and weighs about 130 pounds. She was last seen wearing a white uniform shirt with black pants.”
Washington Post: D.C. security guard describes violent struggle over gun during shootout “A man who D.C. police said engaged in a shootout Monday night with an apartment complex security guard in Northwest Washington, leaving both wounded, wanted the guard’s weapon, according to an arrest affidavit filed in court Wednesday.”
Washington Post: Metro Transit Police arrest man for allegedly exposing himself to girl aboard a Green Line train “Police say Lopez sat down next to a 13-year-old girl on a Green Line train at the Georgia Avenue-Petworth Station, exposed himself and began touching himself inappropriately. When she tried to get up and leave, asking Lopez if he could move, Lopez placed his hand on her and asked “Why are you leaving so soon?” transit police said.”
Crime Tip of the Week
There were 51 burglaries this past week in the District, and there have been over 18,000 burglaries so far this year. Many of the crimes are preventable. Here are some safety tips for protecting your home:
• Ensure that every door leaving your home has a strong dead bolt lock. And if you have dead bolt locks, remember to use them! Too many times people forget to lock their doors, giving burglars an easy opportunity to enter your home.
• Do not leave your keys outside of your home. It is common for people to leave a spare key under the rug or in a container near the front door, and criminals know it! Please be careful.
• Make sure there are no heavy or metal objects laying around in your yard. Criminals may use these objects to break a window and enter your home.
Posted October 08 2015 at 12:49 PM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link