DC Crime Summary – September 16th – 22nd
• There were 5 homicides this past week, bringing this year’s total to 115. Homicides have increased by 45% compared to this time last year, while violent crime has increased in DC compared to the same time last year.
• Levi Kinte Davis, 38, was shot to death Wednesday night near the Benning Road Metro station. No suspect information is available at this time and the victim’s identity has not yet been released.
• Charles Antonio Welch, 25, was shot and killed in the Columbia Heights neighborhood Friday night. Authorities are searching for a man, about 30-40 years old, who was last seen wearing a white shirt and blue shorts.
• Kuron Calleo, 28, was shot to death Sunday night in Sursum Corda. No suspect information is available at this time, and authorities are investigating the incident.
• Marcellus Green, 29, was shot to death Saturday morning in Buena Vista. Maricco Knight, 22, and Steven Pugh, 22, were arrested in connection with the homicide.
• Deontray Ingram, 22, was also fatally shot Saturday morning in Barry Farm. No suspect information is available at this time.
• Javonte Odom, 20, was arrested in connection with the homicide of Antonio Ayala, 35, in the Brightwood neighborhood. The suspect is one of three people who have been arrested in the case.
• After Emebet Kebede, a 56-year-old Physician Assistant, died in a hit-and-run outside of the United Medical Center, authorities arrested Rahveed Shamaah Comford, 32. DC Police believe the suspect was driving at least 15 mph over the speed limit when his vehicle the victim.
• Bijon L. Brown, 20, was arrested and charged with shooting a passenger aboard a Metrobus on August 21st in the Fort Stanton neighborhood.
• A 19-year-old pleaded guilty to punching Elijah Smith, 69, at the Eastern Market Metro station in April.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
There were 5 homicides this past week, bringing this year’s total to 115. Homicides have increased by 45% compared to this time last year, while violent crime has increased in DC compared to the same time last year. • So far this year there have been 209 incidents of sexual abuse reported in the District. • There were 6 incidents of sexual abuse and 19 armed robberies with a gun reported this past week in DC. • Armed robberies with a gun have increased by 16% and assaults with a gun have increased by 13% compared to this time last year. • There were 666 total crimes in DC this past week including 108 violent crimes.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
Recent Crime News
Washington Post: Student stabbed on way to high school in Northeast Washington “A high school student on his way to Friendship Collegiate Academy in Northeast Washington was stabbed Tuesday morning either getting on or getting off a bus, according to D.C. police and school officials.”
WJLA: Police arrest 20-year-old for assault with a gun in Northeast, D.C. “The Metropolitan Police Department has arrested 20-year-old Brian Howard Smith of Southeast, D.C. pursuant to a warrant for a shooting in Northeast, D.C. On Saturday, Sept. 12, MPD responded to a reported shooting between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 12:00 a.m. in the 3500 block of East Capitol St. NE.”
Washington Post: Police arrest man in fatal crash near Washington hospital “Authorities estimated that Rahveed Shamaah Comford, 32, of Fort Washington was driving at least 45 mph in a black 2015 Chevrolet Tahoe on Southern Avenue when the vehicle struck Emebet Kebede, 56, of Lanham, Md. The speed limit is 30 mph.”
Washington Post: Man fatally shot in D.C. Sunday night identified as being from Northeast “A man who was fatally shot Sunday night in Sursum Corda has been identified as a 28-year-old from Northeast Washington, according to D.C. police. Kuron Calleo was pronounced dead at an area hospital shortly after the 8:20 p.m. shooting.”
Washington Post: Federal charges filed in alleged sex trafficking of young girls in District “Daraya Marshall, 35, and Jarnese Harris, 29, appeared Monday before U.S. Magistrate Judge Michael Harvey under a 10-count indictment filed Friday that included five counts against each of child sex trafficking and coercion of minor females. The charges carry a statutory maximum of life in prison.”
Washington Post: Man is fatally shot near NOMA area of DC; victim found on N. Capitol Street “A man was shot and fatally wounded Sunday night near the NOMA area of the District, authorities said. The man was shot about 8:20 p.m. in the unit block of M Street NW, police said. They said he was found in the 1100 block of North Capitol Street NW, which is around the corner. The man was taken to a hospital, where he died.”
Washington Post: Three homicides push D.C.’s total to 114 for the year “D.C. police are investigating three unrelated homicides that occurred Friday night and early Saturday, bringing the total number of killings in the city to 114 in 2015. The first occurred in the 1800 block of Harvard Street in Northwest Washington about 7:45 p.m. Friday, police said. Officers were dispatched after a report of a shooting and found a man with a gunshot wound.”
Washington Post: Fatal shooting in Adams Morgan/Mount Pleasant area of NW “A man was shot and killed Friday evening on a street in the Adams Morgan/Mount Pleasant area. The shooting occurred in the 1800 block of Harvard Street NWabout 7:45 p.m. as night was falling. The site is about a quarter mile east of the National Zoo.”
WJLA: Person of interest sought in Northwest burglary “The Metropolitan Police Department is asking for the community’s help in identifying a person of interest in a burglary. The incident occurred in the 400 block of 8th St. NW on Wednesday, Sept. 16. around 4:04 a.m.”
WJLA: Multiple robbery arrests made in the District “The Metropolitan Police Department has announced multiple arrests have been made in numerous robbery incidents, all of which are believed to be connected. On Wednesday, Sept. 16, MPD responded to a robbery in three different locations.”
Washington Post: Guilty plea in case of teen who punched 69-year-old at Metro stop “Bill Miller, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District, said that Elijah Smith, who was charged with felony assault, pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor charge of simple assault for knocking the 69-year-old man down on the escalator at the Eastern Market station in April.”
Washington Post: Man dies after being shot outside of apartment complex in NE Washington “A Maryland man is dead after he was shot Wednesday night outside an apartment complex in Northeast Washington. D.C. police identified the victim as Levi Kinte Davis, 38, of Baltimore. Police said the shooting occurred about 8:20 p.m. in the 4200 block of East Capitol Street, near Fort Chaplin Park. Police said Davis was pronounced dead at an area hospital.”
Washington Post: Georgia man is arrested in D.C. slaying “D.C. police arrested a 20-year-old Georgia man Thursday on a murder charge that states he was part a robbery crew that fatally shot a 35-year-old man outside a Northwest Washington CVS store this spring, officials said. Police arrested Javonte Odom of Decatur, Ga., on a D.C. Superior Court arrest warrant that charges him with the slaying of Antonio Ayala March 30 in the Brightwood area of the city. Two other men were charged in the case in April.”
WUSA9: MISSING: 69-year-old DC man “A Silver Alert has been issued for a 69-year-old man who has been missing since Friday September 11. Galahad Jimoh Alumu was last seen in the Unit block of Farragut Place in Northwest D.C.”
WJLA: Police: Arrest made, other suspects still at large after 3 robberies in 1 hour in D.C. “Police say a juvenile male has been arrested and charged with three separate robberies and assaults that took place over the course of one hour in D.C. on Wednesday. Police say they are still working to identify other suspects in the crimes.”
WJLA: Man steals package from home, police need help identifying “A home surveillance camera shows a young man walking up to a home and taking a package from their doorstep. The Metropolitan Police are now looking for the suspect and are asking for the community’s help in identifying the man in the footage.”
Washington Post: Suspect tied to shooting on Metrobus arrested “A man sought in the August shooting of a Metrobus passenger was arrested Wednesday, Metro Transit Police said. Bijon L. Brown, 20, was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon, Metro spokesman Dan Stessel said. Brown is a person of interest in the case in which someone fired at a Metrobus in the 2400 block of Elvans Road SE on Aug. 21, Stessel said, and will probably face further charges.”
WUSA9: Police: 3 wanted in DC armed robbery “Police are asking for the public’s help identifying three people involved in an armed robbery in Northeast D.C. The incident took place around 4 p.m. Monday in the 1300 block of H Street. According to D.C. Police, the suspect was armed with a knife during the robbery.”
Washington Post: Two years after Navy Yard shootings, a sister’s letter to the killer “Two years since the horrible day that her sister and 11 other people were killed at the Navy Yard, Wendy Edmonds wishes that before Aaron Alexis went on his murderous rampage, he had talked to someone — specifically, her sister.”
Crime Tip of the Week
School is back in session, and children are walking, biking, and running through city streets. As a driver, please be extra cautious while moving through a school zone and keep in mind the following road safety tips.
• Automobile drivers must come to complete stops at stop signs and crosswalks. The pedestrian always has the right of way, and drivers should be patient, while people are moving through the crosswalk.
• The speed limit in a school zone is 15 mph. Keep this in mind as you are driving.
• If you come across a school bus stopped on the side of the ride, please be careful. Students may be getting out of the school bus and walking across the street.
Posted September 24 2015 at 5:02 PM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link