DC Crime Summary – April 29th – May 5th
• Anthony Davon Benson, 17, was shot and killed Friday night in the Brightwood neighborhood. No suspect information is available at this time, and police are investigating the incident.
• Gregory McBryde, 21, was shot and killed earlier Friday morning in Columbia Heights. No suspect information is available at this time, and police are investigating the incident.
• Michael Anthony Marshall, Jr., 33, was fatally shot Monday morning in the Fort Dupont neighborhood. No suspect information is available at this time.
• A woman was assaulted and robbed early Sunday morning in Adams Morgan. DC Police are searching for four men in connection with case, and according to reports, two men assaulted the victim with the intent to commit a first-degree sexual abuse.
• Mark Beasley, 42, was arrested in connection with the shooting death of Darryn Conte near the Takoma Metro station this past Sunday. Mr. Beasley was charged with first-degree murder while armed.
• Elijah Jeremiah Smith, 19, was identified the suspect who allegedly assaulted a 69-year-old man at the Eastern Market Metro station this past week.
• Brian Jackson, 26, was arrested Wednesday morning, April 29th, and charged in connection with the stabbing death of Joshua Steele, 23, in Congress Heights on April 17th.
• Elijah Jeremiah Smith, 19, was arrested after he allegedly assaulted a 69-year-old man at the Eastern Market Metro station.
• DC Police have released a video of three persons of interest wanted for armed robbery in the Garfield Heights neighborhood. Authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying and locating the persons of interest.
• Members of the DC Police Union’s Executive Council were on ABC’s TV show This Week with George Stephanopoulos as they discussed policing in America.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
There were 3 homicides this week in the District, bringing the total up for the year to 37. • Anthony Davon Benson, 17, was shot and killed Friday night in the Brightwood neighborhood. No suspect information is available at this time, and police are investigating the incident. • Gregory McBryde, 21, was shot and killed earlier Friday morning in Columbia Heights. No suspect information is available at this time, and police are investigating the incident. • Michael Anthony Marshall, Jr., 33, was fatally shot Monday morning in the Fort Dupont neighborhood. No suspect information is available at this time. • So far this year there have been 75 instances of sexual abuse reported in the District. There were 4 instances of sexual abuse and 20 armed robberies with a gun reported this past week in DC. Armed robberies with a gun have increased and assaults with a gun have increased by 17% compared to this time last year. • There were 647 total crimes in DC this past week including 117 violent crimes.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
Recent Crime News
Washington Post: Head of embattled D.C. 911 center resigns “Days after she acknowledged widespread failure to meet national standards on dispatch times, the director of the District’s 911 center resigned under pressure, according to city officials.”
Washington Post: Metro Transit Police arrest teenager accused of punching man at stop “Metro Transit Police said they’ve arrested a teenager suspected of punching a man in the face at the Eastern Market rail stop. Elijah J. Smith, 19, was arrested Monday night without incident and charged with felony assault. Authorities had a warrant for his arrest.”
WUSA9: Md. man charged in 2010 DC shooting death “A Maryland man was arrested Tuesday in connection with a 2010 shooting death that happened in Northeast, D.C., according to the Metropolitan Police Department. Gregory Williams, 29, of Mt. Rainier, Md. was arrested and charged with murder II in the shooting death of a Greenbelt man, police said.”
Washington Post: Man fatally shot in Southeast Washington in early morning shooting “D.C. Police said they are investigating a homicide in Southeast Washington. Police said they were alerted to the incident in the 300 block of Ridge Road SE just after midnight Monday when a “shot spotter,” a type of equipment that detects gunshot sounds through microphones, went off.”
Washington Post: Teen shot and killed in NW Washington “D.C. police are investigating the shooting death of a Prince George’s teenager Friday night in Northwest Washington, authorities said Sunday. Anthony Davon Benson, 17, of Oxon Hill, was pronounced dead after being taken to a local hospital, police said in a statement.”
Washington Post: Woman assaulted and robbed early Sunday in NW D.C., police say “The woman was walking in the 2200 block of 18th Street NW around 2:50 a.m. when four men came toward her, police said in a statement. Two of the men “assaulted her with the intent to commit a first-degree sexual abuse,” according to the statement. The woman was also robbed during the encounter, police said.”
Washington Post: Man shot in Northeast D.C. “The man, whose name was not released, was conscious and breathing when officers responded to the intersection of 51st Street NE and Cloud Place NE, said Officer Sean Hickman, a department spokesman. The man, who was shot outside around 9 a.m., was taken to a local hospital, Hickman said.”
Washington Post: D.C. police investigate fatal shooting in Columbia Heights “D.C. Police said they are investigating an early morning shooting that left one man dead in the area of Columbia Heights in Northwest. A caller just before 1 a.m. Friday reported hearing gunshots in the 1300 block of Harvard Street NW. No further details were immediately available.”
Washington Post: Man injured in shooting in Northwest Washington “D.C. Police said they are investigating an early morning shooting in Northwest Washington. The incident happened around 2 a.m. Thursday in the 1200 block of M street NW. Some streets in that area are closed and drivers are advised to avoid that area.”
WUSA9: Md. man arrested for DC fatal shooting “A Maryland man has been arrested in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred in D.C. on Sunday. Mark Beasley, age 42, of Laurel has been charged with first degree murder while armed in connection with the shooting death of 39-year-old Darryn Conte.”
NBC Washington: Police Search for Suspect in NW D.C. Shooting “Police are searching for the person who shot a man in northwest Washington Thursday morning. Officers were called to the 1200 block of M Street NW just before 4:30 a.m. for a report of a shooting. When they arrived, they found a man suffering from a gunshot wound.”
Washington Post: Police publish photo of suspect accused of punching man in Metro “Metro Transit Police have identified a suspect in the assault of a 69-year-old passenger at the Eastern Market station last week. Police published a photo of Elijah Jeremiah Smith, 19, and asked the public for help in finding him. His last known address was in Northeast D.C., the police statement said. Police have obtained a warrant for his arrest.”
Washington Post: Man arrested in connection with Southeast D.C. murder “A 26-year-old man was arrested on Wednesday morning in connection with the stabbing death of another man 12 days ago. Brian Jackson of Southeast D.C. was apprehended by the Capital Area Regional Task Force on Wednesday. He was wanted for the murder of Joshua Steele, 23, of Southeast D.C. Steele was found dead on the 600 block of Alabama Avenue SE on April 17.”
Washington Post: Two men are shot in Southeast D.C. “Two men were shot and seriously wounded Thursday evening in separate attacks on Southeast Washington streets, D.C. police said In the first incident, police found a man wounded by gunfire in the 4500 block of Benning Road SE just before 6 p.m., said Officer Hugh Carew, a spokesman. The victim, who was conscious and breathing at the scene, was taken to a hospital with serious injuries.”
WJLA: Stabbing at Metro bus stop leaves man with life-threatening injuries “A man in his 50s was stabbed by a woman and suffered life-threatening injuries at a Metro bus stop in southeast D.C. on Wednesday afternoon, police said. The stabbing took place about 3:30 p.m. at 16th Street and Good Hope Road SE, according to Metro Transit Police.”
WUSA9: Woman killed by hit and run driver in southeast DC “Metropolitan Police detectives are looking for a driver responsible for the death of a pedestrian in southeast Tuesday night. MPD officer responded to a report of a pedestrian struck in the 1300 block of Southern Avenue around 8:40 p.m. Once on scene they found a woman had been hit by a vehicle that fled the scene. The victim was taken to a local hospital where she later died from her injuries.”
Crime Tip of the Week
There have been over 7,000 thefts so far this year in the District, and according to MPD, office thefts constitute more than half of the crimes that take place in downtown DC. To make sure you keep your valuables safe, please keep in mind the following tips.
• Most office thefts happen during normal business hours. Many thieves will enter a building disguised as a contractor, tourist, visitor, or etc. to “blend in.” Requiring every visitor and employee to check in or wear identification can prevent many of these crimes.
• Keep your office door locked when you leave. Even a short trip to the bathroom can give a criminal enough time to steal your belongings.
• Store wallets, purses, cell phones, and all other valuables in a secure location at all times.
Posted May 08 2015 at 3:40 PM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link