DC Crime Summary – March 11th – 17th
• DC police are investigating human remains that were found in Southeast Wednesday afternoon. So far, authorities believe that the victim is an African American male and he was at least 50 years old when he died.
• Marcus Troy Alston, 27, was shot and killed Saturday in Southeast. No suspect information is available at this time and police are investigating the incident.
• David Simmons, 32, was fatally shot Sunday in a double shooting in Southeast. The other victim was taken to a local hospital and authorities are investigating the case.
• Christopher Adams, 20, was identified as the victim who was shot and killed Thursday morning in Brightwood Park. Glenn R. Walker, 24, was arrested in the case and charged with first-degree murder while armed.
• Astrian Horton, 32, was arrested Thursday and charged with first-degree murder. Mr. Horton allegedly killed Deon Coleman almost seven years ago in the District.
• Kevin Walker, 39, was sentenced to 80 years for killing his brother and sister during an altercation in Northeast in 2013.
• James Johnson, 32, was sentenced to 15 years in prison after he was convicted of killing Talbert Mitchell Bright. According to reports, Mr. Johnson shot and killed the victim after the victim refused to give him a can of beer.
• A woman stabbed a Metro station manager Sunday at Stadium-Armory. According to reports, the victim was stabbed after he would not let the woman go through the fare gate without paying.
• A man was stabbed inside of a homeless shelter Wednesday near Judiciary Square. According to reports, the victim had been in a weeks-long argument with the person who stabbed him.
• Reginald Klaiber, 25, was sentenced to 56 months in prison after he allegedly pleaded guilty to stabbing a transgender girl on a Metro train in July 2014.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
DC police are investigating human remains that were found in Southeast Wednesday afternoon. So far, authorities believe that the victim is an African American male and he was at least 50 years old when he died. • Marcus Troy Alston, 27, was shot and killed Saturday in Southeast. No suspect information is available at this time and police are investigating the incident. • David Simmons, 32, was fatally shot Sunday in a double shooting in Southeast. The other victim was taken to a local hospital and authorities are investigating the case. • Christopher Adams, 20, was identified as the victim who was shot and killed Thursday morning in Brightwood Park. Glenn R. Walker, 24, was arrested in the case and charged with first-degree murder while armed. • So far this year there have been 21 homicides and 36 instances of sexual abuse reported in the District. There were 2 instances of sexual abuse and 20 armed robberies with a gun reported this past week in DC. Assaults with a gun have increased by 19% compared to this time last year. • There were 589 total crimes in DC this past week including 115 violent crimes.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
Recent Crime News
Washington Post: Six-year-old girl is shot and wounded in Southeast DC, police say “A 6-year-old girl was shot and wounded Tuesday afternoon in Southeast Washington, police said. They said the girl was hit in the leg about 6 p.m. in the 3400 block of 22nd Street. She was taken to a hospital.”
WUSA9: Missing: 13-year-old DC boy “The Metropolitan Police Department needs your help locating a missing 13-year-old boy. Julio Bouknight was last seen in the 4200 block of 4th Street Southeast on Thursday, March 12th, police said.”
Washington Post: DC police arrest suspect in Brightwood Park killing “Glenn R. Walker, who lives steps from Eighth and Jefferson streets where the shooting occurred, was charged Friday with first-degree murder while armed. He was ordered detained until a preliminary hearing March 27.”
Washington Post: District man sentenced to 15 years for killing a man over a can of beer “But James Johnson, 32, who was sitting in the Northwest Washington park with Bright, told him no. When Bright went into Johnson’s cooler anyway to grab one of the cans, prosecutors alleged that Johnson reached into his bag, pulled out a 9mm pistol and shot Bright three times, once in his chest.”
WUSA9: Caught on cam: Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue robbery “D.C. police are seeking the public’s assistance in locating two persons of interest in connection to a robbery that took place on Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, Southwest. The robbery took place Saturday, March 14, at approximately 5:05 am, in the 3900 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, SW, police said.”
Washington Post: Police: Woman stabbed Metro station manager who refused to give free ride “Metro Transit police are searching for a woman who they say stabbed a station manager at Stadium-Armory with a kitchen knife Sunday because he wouldn’t let her through the fare gate without paying, authorities said.”
Washington Post: Fatal shooting on Langston Place SE “A man was shot to death Saturday in Southeast Washington, the D.C. police said. They said Marcus Troy Alston, 27, of Southeast was found with an apparent gunshot wound about 12:20 p.m. in the 2700 block of Langston Place, SE.”
Washington Post: 1 man dead, a second man injured in Southeast Washington shootings “D.C. police are investigating a Sunday morning shooting in Southeast Washington that left one man dead and another injured.”
Washington Post: District man serving 93-year sentence for murders killed by inmate last week “In August, just six months after being sentenced by a D.C. Superior Court judge in February, Crawford was sent to the Hazelton federal prison near Morgantown, W.Va. But last Friday, following an altercation with another inmate, Crawford was killed.”
Washington Post: DC police: Human remains found of man at least 50 years old “Remains found Wednesday afternoon in Southeast Washington are of an African-American male who was at least 50 years old when he died, according to preliminary information released by D.C. police.”
Washington Post: Man fatally shot in Northwest Washington “A man was found shot to death in a car early Thursday in the Brightwood Park neighborhood of Northwest Washington, according to D.C. police. The shooting occurred about 1:30 a.m. in the 5300 block of 8th Street NW, near Jefferson Street. Police identified the victim as Christopher Adams, 20, of Northwest. He was pronounced dead on the scene.”
Washington Post: Shooting reported in Metro system, police say “A shooting occurred in the Metro system at 9:10 p.m. on Thursday, Metropolitan Police Department spokesman Paul Metcalf said. Metro, which did not immediately respond to requests for information, said on Twitter that trains were single-tracking from Eastern Market to Stadium Armory due to “police activity” at Potomac Avenue, the Blue, Orange, and Silver Line station in between those two.”
Washington Post: Seven years later, DC police charge man with first-degree murder “Astrian Horton of Concord, N.C., was charged with first-degree murder in the District on Thursday after being arrested in his home town a month before. Horton, now 32, is charged with killing Deon Coleman of Southwest D.C. almost seven years ago, D.C. police said in a statement. Coleman, 30, was fatally shot inside a vehicle on the unit block of Brandywine Street SW on June 19, 2008.”
Washington Post: Man fatally shot in Northwest Washington “A man was found shot to death in a car early Thursday in the Brightwood Park neighborhood of Northwest Washington, according to D.C. police. The shooting occurred about 1:30 a.m. in the 5300 block of 8th Street NW, near Jefferson Street. Police said the victim was pronounced dead on the scene.”
Washington Post: Human remains found near highway in Southeast Washington “U.S. Park Police notified D.C. police of the discovery in the area of the southbound highway lanes and Malcolm X Avenue about 2:30 p.m., said Officer Hugh Carew, a D.C. police spokesman. Investigators later determined that remains were human and D.C. police are trying to determine how they ended up at that location.”
Washington Post: DC police arrest suspect in 2014 killing outside Tyler House “District police have arrested a suspect in the May shooting death of a 32-year-old man outside the Tyler House apartment building in Northwest Washington’s Sursum Corda housing complex, according to authorities.”
Washington Post: Two DC firefighters arrested on charges of assaulting police officers “Two D.C. firefighters have been put on administrative leave after being arrested and charged with assaulting police officers in separate incidents in the District and in Anne Arundel County, according to court documents and authorities.”
Crime Tip of the Week
There has been a growing trend of cell phone thefts targeting people in DC nightclubs and bars, according to WJLA news. Keep in mind the following tips if you plan on have a night out on the town.
• One establishment has warned its patrons to be wary of strangers who drop something in front of you or try to grab their attention with a magic trick. These distractions have been used to steal cell phones and if this happens to you, check to make sure nothing is stolen.
• If your personal property is stolen, contact authorities. A number of people have had items stolen and police are asking victims to come forward. The more the police know, the greater the chance they will have to stop those who are responsible.
Posted March 19 2015 at 5:44 PM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link