DC Crime Summary – March 4th – 10th
• A woman was stabbed to death Saturday morning in Columbia Heights. Authorities are investigating the incident and no other information is available at this time.
• Deonte Bethea was shot and killed Saturday night in Columbia Heights. No suspect information is available at this time and police are investigating the incident.
• Thomas Deal, 33, was fatally shot early Thursday morning in Southeast. Residents told police that they heard as many as ten gunshots in the incident and no suspect information is available at this time.
• Kalif Brown, 21, was arrested in connection with the murder of Rico Myers near Congress Heights Metro station about a month ago. Mr. Brown was charged Friday with felony murder while armed.
• Vernon Bullock, 32, was arrested Thursday and charged with second-degree murder of Lakida Goodman, 34, in Southeast. Police had been searching for Mr. Bullock since February 23rd, when they obtained a warrant for his arrest.
• Authorities arrested Shaquan Gaskins, 18, and Desean Cheadle, 20, and they were charged in connection with a Capitol Hill area robbery and stabbing that took place in February. According to reports, the victim told detectives that the attackers were his friends.
• Ariel Taylor, 13, was reported as missing by DC Police. She was last seen on March 3rd in Northeast. She has brown eyes, brown hair, and was last seen wearing tan pants and a sky blue shirt. Authorities are asking for the public’s help in locating her.
• Kimberly Pinkley, a 45-year-old DC fire inspector, pleaded guilty Monday to using a taxpayer-funded credit card to purchase more than $11,000 in gas for a personal vehicle. She has resigned from the fire department and faces up to three years in prison.
• An MPD Police officer was attempting to pull over a female ATV driver in Northwest when about 40 youths on ATVs surrounded the officer’s car and began kicking his cruiser Sunday evening.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
A woman was stabbed to death Saturday morning in Columbia Heights. Authorities are investigating the incident and no other information is available at this time. • Deonte Bethea was shot and killed Saturday night in Columbia Heights. No suspect information is available at this time and police are investigating the incident. • Thomas Deal, 33, was fatally shot early Thursday morning in Southeast. Residents wrote notes to the police claiming that they heard as many as ten gunshots in the incident and no suspect information is available at this time. • So far this year there have been 18 homicides and 34 instances of sexual abuse reported in the District. There were 5 instances of sexual abuse and 10 armed robberies with a gun reported this past week in DC. Assaults with a gun have increased by 16% compared to this time last year. • There were 440 total crimes in DC this past week including 86 violent crimes.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
Recent Crime News
WUSA9: Second man arrested in Northeast, DC homicide “A second man has been arrested in connection with the homicide of a 25-year-old D.C. man. Tavon Pinkney, age 18, of Southeast, D.C. was arrested on Tuesday and charged with felony murder while armed in connection to the shooting death of Rico Myers.”
WUSA9: Suspect in custody after suspicious device found in DC “A suspect is in custody after police discovered a suspicious device at Southeast, D.C. residence. Police say the device was found at a residence located at 3911 1st Street, SE. The device was rendered safe by the Metropolitan Police Bomb Squad and no injuries were sustained during the incident.”
Washington Post: Opened safe reveals mysterious substance in Northwest DC home “It started as a routine call to the D.C. fire department about a mysterious goo-like substance inside a home in the District’s Chevy Chase neighborhood. Maybe a spilled household cleaner, firefighters first thought.”
Washington Post: Police investigating two weekend homicides in Northwest Washington “A man who was fatally shot Saturday night in Columbia Heights has been identified as a 30-year-old from Northwest Washington, according to D.C. police. Deonte Bethea died at an area hospital shortly after the 9:40 p.m. shooting at Center and Ogden streets in Northwest. The shooting occurred a short distance from 16th Street.”
Washington Post: Former DC fire inspector pleads guilty to taking gas for personal car “A former D.C. fire inspector pleaded guilty Monday to using her department-issued credit card to buy more than $11,000 in gas for her personal vehicle, according to the U.S. attorney’s office for the District.”
WJLA (ABC News): ATV riders swarm DC police officer, try to run him over “D.C. police confirmed Monday that a group of young people on all-terrain vehicles attacked an officer Sunday evening. The incident happened about 6 p.m. when the officer tried to pull over a female ATV driver on Clifton Street in Northwest D.C. When the officer got out of his cruiser, police said as many as 40 ATVs surrounded him - and the drivers began kicking his cruiser.”
ABC (WJLA News): Residents alarmed by car thefts at DC daycare “Parents go through the daily routine of dropping their kids off at daycare before heading to work. While this process can take a few moments, what they didn’t expect to happen was to be the victim of a car break-in.”
Washington Post: Woman is found dead in Northwest DC “A woman who had apparently been wounded or injured was found dead Saturday morning near the Columbia Heights neighborhood of Northwest Washington. The manner of the woman’s death has not been determined and police are conducting a death investigation, a D.C. police spokesman said Sunday evening.”
Washington Post: Man shot to death in NW DC “A man was fatally shot Saturday night on a Columbia Heights street, D.C. police said Sunday. The victim, who has not been publicly identified by authorities, was found suffering from gunshot wounds shortly after 9:30 p.m. in the 3500 block of Center Street NW, near the corner of Ogden Street, police said. He was later pronounced dead at a hospital.”
Washington Post: Police arrest man in a fatal shooting in Northeast Washington “D.C. police on Friday arrested a man in a fatal shooting last month that claimed the life of a 25-year-old in Northeast Washington. Kalif Brown, 21, of Southeast, was charged with felony murder while armed. He was arrested about 8 a.m. by members of the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force.”
WUSA9: Man sentenced for killing man outside DC barbershop “Christopher Holes, 23, was found guilty by a jury in February of second-degree murder while armed and possession of a firearm during a crime of violence. After he has completed his prison term, he will be on supervised release for five years, according to officials.”
Washington Post: Man fatally shot in Southeast Washington identified “D.C. police are investigating the fatal shooting of a Prince George’s County man early Thursday in Southeast Washington’s Anacostia neighborhood, according to a department spokeswoman. The shooting occurred about 1:10 a.m. in the 1400 block of Cedar Street SE, adjacent to the grounds of the Frederick Douglass National Historic Site.”
Washington Post: DC police arrest man being sought in killing of woman in Southeast “A man being sought in a January killing of a woman in Southeast Washington was arrested Thursday on a warrant charging him with second-degree murder, according to D.C. police. The suspect has been identified as Vernon Bullock, 32, of Southeast. He could make his initial appearance in D.C. Superior Court on Friday, when an arrest affidavit would be unsealed, revealing additional details about the case.”
Washington Post: Police arrest two suspects in stabbing, robbery in Capitol Hill area “D.C. police have arrested two suspects who authorities say are linked to a mid-afternoon robbery and stabbing that occurred in February in the Capitol Hill area that left a man with critical injuries. A police report indicates that the attack was not random; the victim told detectives that his assailants were friends.”
WUSA9: 13-year-old girl missing from DC “D.C. police are searching for a missing 13-year-old girl last seen on Tuesday. Ariel Taylor, 13, of D.C., was last seen March 3 in the 1000 block of Maryland Ave, police said. She is described as a black teenager, 5’ tall, weighing 135 pounds. She has brown eyes, brown hair and a light complexion. Taylor was last seen wearing tan pants and a sky blue shirt, authorities said.”
MyFoxDC: Man charged with assault after being shot by police in DC “Police were called to an intersection about five blocks away from the Washington Convention Center late Tuesday for a report of shots fired. Police say officers saw an armed man fleeing the scene. They confronted him nearby, and police say officers opened fire after he refused to drop his weapon.”
Crime Tip of the Week
Now that the snow is gone you have probably noticed that the roads are filled with potholes as typically happens in the winter. In fact, according to NBC Washington, DC’s Department of Transportation says there are almost 40,000 potholes in the District. While potholes may damage your tires or car, they can also lead to accidents. Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind as you drive in DC:
• If a pothole is in your way, do not swerve into another lane to avoid it. This can lead to an accident with a vehicle in the adjacent lane.
• If you see a pothole that you feel is dangerous to the public, please call 311 to report it. DC’s Department of Transportation aims to fix reported potholes in 72 hours.
Posted March 12 2015 at 5:37 PM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link