DC Crime Summary – February 11th – February 17th
• David Messerschmitt, 30, was identified as the man who was stabbed and killed Tuesday, February 10th, inside of a hotel room in downtown DC. Police have released a video of a person of interest in the homicide and authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying the suspect.
• Rico Myers, 25, was killed in a shooting Monday near the Capitol Heights Metro station. Homicide investigators were called to the scene and no other information is available at this time.
• Tyrik Lamont Brown pleaded guilty Thursday to voluntary manslaughter of his one-month-old son, Raj’saun Tyrik Brown. Medical examiners had previously found fractures to the leg, skull, and ribs of the infant’s body.
• So far this year, DC police have arrested more than 50 individuals connected to prostitution in the Thomas Circle area alone. This is the result of an ongoing effort to arrest people who are using the Internet to search for prostitutes in the District.
• Two men and two juveniles were arrested Friday and charged with a series of carjackings and motor vehicle thefts in the District.
• Christopher Barry, son of former Mayor Barry and candidate for Ward 8 Council seat, was offered a plea deal by DC prosecutors after he was charged with threatening a bank teller.
• A video was released of 4 people connected with an assault with a gun that took place January in Southeast. Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying the suspects.
• DC officials have reported that Georgetown Rabbi Barry Freundel secretly recorded at least 150 women.
• A man suspected of stealing two kittens from a Petco in Columbia Heights was arrested Thursday but the kittens are still missing.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
David Messerschmitt, 30, was identified as the man who was stabbed and killed Tuesday, February 10th, inside of a hotel room in downtown DC. Police have released a video of a person of interest are asking for the public’s help in identifying the suspect. • Rico Myers, 25, was fatally shot Monday afternoon near the Capitol Heights Metro station. Homicide investigators were called to the scene and no other information is available at this time. • So far this year there have been 11 homicides and 17 instances of sexual abuse reported in the District. There were 2 instances of sexual abuse and 15 armed robberies with a gun reported this past week in DC. Assaults with a gun have increased by 30% compared to this time last year. • There were 519 total crimes in DC this past week including 64 violent crimes.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
Recent Crime News
Washington Post: Man shot dead in Northeast Washington has been identified “A man who was fatally shot Monday afternoon in Northeast Washington has been identified as 25-year-old Rico Myers, according to D.C. police. A man who was fatally shot Monday afternoon in Northeast Washington has been identified as 25-year-old Rico Myers, according to D.C. police.”
NBC Washington: 14-year-old girl missing from SE DC “Police need your help finding a 14-year-old girl who disappeared Tuesday morning. Ventsene Jordan was last seen in the 400 block of Condon Terrace SE. Police did not say what time she was last seen. Carter is five feet, two inches tall and weighs 140 pounds. She has brown eyes and brown hair.”
MyFoxDC: Family looks for answer in aspiring model’s death “It has been nearly a year since an aspiring model, actor and artist was gunned down near his Southeast D.C. home and no one has been charged with the crime. Demencio Lewis was on the verge of making a name for himself when his family believes he was lured into a trap and killed.”
Washington Post: DC police called to scene of NE shooting “The D.C. police homicide unit was called to the 6100 block of Clay Street NE around noon Monday to investigate the shooting of an adult male who was unconscious and not breathing.”
Washington Post: District police cracking down on prostitutes advertising on Internet “Since January, D.C. police have run a string of stings at hotels near Thomas Circle, luring men with fake ads on the Internet and then waiting for them to knock on a hotel room door. Police have put more than 50 alleged customers in cuffs in the past several weeks in this one neighborhood alone.”
Washington Post: DC police arrest four people linked to series of carjackings, car thefts “D.C. police have arrested two men and two juveniles and charged them in a series of carjackings and vehicle thefts in Northeast and Northwest Washington, authorities said on Friday.”
Washington Post: Prosecutors offer Marion Barry’s son a plea deal in bank assault case “Barry, 34, the son of the late former D.C. mayor Marion Barry Jr., stood next to his attorney in a courtroom in D.C. Superior Court as prosecutors outlined the deal. Prosecutors said they would dismiss the simple assault charge if Barry pleads guilty to the misdemeanor charges of attempted threats and destruction of property.”
Washington Post: Father pleads guilty to voluntary manslaughter in infant’s beating death “Brown pleaded guilty Thursday to voluntary manslaughter in the Oct. 29 death of the infant, Raj’saun Tyrik Brown. Prosecutors said the baby’s mother left the infant with Brown as she went to work. She fed him, bathed him and laid him on the bed next to the baby’s father.”
MyFoxDC: Fox 5 investigates: Drug market at DC General homeless shelter “Our FOX 5 Investigation showed you how the shelter was failing to protect its most vulnerable residents. Children were outside close to midnight playing near what appeared to be hand-to-hand drug sales. More than six months later, we went back and found a thriving drug market that is still open for business.”
Washington Post: Wife of man found dead in hotel tells police he had been acting normally “D.C. lawyer David Messerschmitt texted his wife at 7:34 p.m. Monday, saying he’d be home in about an hour, according to police documents. That was the last time his family heard from the 30-year-old, who was found fatally stabbed the next morning in a downtown Washington hotel room.”
Washington Post: DC police identify man found fatally stabbed in Thomas Circle hotel room “The man found stabbed to death Tuesday in a hotel on Thomas Circle in downtown Washington has been identified as a 30-year-old lawyer who lived on Capitol Hill and worked for an international law firm, according to law enforcement authorities and a company representative.”
WUSA9: 4 wanted in DC assault with gun “The Metropolitan Police Department is searching for four people in connection with an assault with a gun that happened on January 19, 2015 in Southeast, D.C. The assault happened around 7:35 p.m. in the 300 block of 37th Street, Southeast, police said.”
Crime Tip of the Week
As snow continues to fall, please be aware that weather conditions increase the risk to both pedestrians and drivers. Please be alert when travelling the streets and keep in mind the following tips.
• While snow may still be on the road, schools may be in session. Drive slowly near schools and be on the lookout for children who may be crossing the street.
• If snowfall is heavy, drive on the main roads. Side streets may not be snow plowed and could result in an accident or your car getting stuck.
• When crossing the street as a pedestrian, wait for traffic to have stop completely before you start crossing.
• Don’t walk in the road if sidewalks are covered in snow.
Posted February 19 2015 at 11:57 AM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link