DC Crime Summary – February 4th – February 10th
• Tracey Dick, 46, was stabbed and killed Wednesday night in Southeast. No suspect information is available at this time and police are investigating the incident.
• A man was found dead in his hotel room Tuesday afternoon in downtown DC and police are investigating the case as a homicide.
• A stabbing was reported on a Metro train at Federal Center Southeast Wednesday. According to reports, a man stole a cellphone from another Metro rider. While the suspect tried to escape another man tried to stop him but was ultimately stabbed by the suspect.
• There were at least four shootings in the District this past weekend and authorities are investigating the incidents.
• Dujaun Garris, 21, was arrested and charged with first-degree murder of James Anderson, 27, in January.
• Authorities are searching for a suspect wanted for burglary and attempted sexual assault in Southeast Sunday morning. According to reports, the suspect also stabbed two residents in the home he burglarized, including the woman he tried to assault.
• Leroy Damien Ware, a 33-year-old elementary school teacher in Northeast, was arrested Thursday and charged with child sexual abuse.
• A woman was attacked by ten juveniles in the Columbia Heights neighborhood. Four of the suspects were arrested in connection with the assault.
• A DC water treatment plant worker was arrested after he took out a shotgun during an argument. The suspect did not point the gun at anybody but the incident did force the DC Water headquarters into a temporary lockdown.
• Hung Nguyen, a Dupont Circle nail technician, was charged with inappropriately touching three of his clients from November 2013 to August 2014. One woman claimed Mr. Nugyen put his hand inside her shirt and pants after giving her a pedicure.
• There were 25 cars that were broken into Wednesday at Howard University parking lots.
• Congress Heights neighborhood residents called DC police after tires on their automobiles were slashed overnight Sunday. According to reports, there were as many as 30 cars that had slashed tires in the area.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
Tracey Dick, 46, was stabbed and killed Wednesday night in Buena Vista. No suspect information is available at this time and police are investigating the incident. • A man was found dead in his hotel room Tuesday afternoon in downtown DC and police are investigating the case as a homicide • So far this year there have been 10 homicides and 15 instances of sexual abuse reported in the District. There were 3 instances of sexual abuse and 12 assaults with a gun reported this past week in DC. Assaults with a gun have increased by 31% compared to this time last year. • There were 536 total crimes in DC this past week including 72 violent crimes.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
Recent Crime News
Washington Post: Police arrest suspect in month-old murder “D.C. police arrested a suspect on Tuesday in a murder that occurred a few blocks from Nationals Park in January. Dujaun Garris, 21, of Northwest Washington was apprehended by members of the Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force and charged with first-degree murder, police said in a statement.”
Washington Post: Man found dead in downtown Washington hotel room “A man was found dead in a downtown Washington hotel room Tuesday afternoon, according to D.C. police. The body was found at The Donovan, described as a modern boutique hotel at 14th Street and Thomas Circle in Northwest Washington.”
Washington Post: Two gunpoint carjackings committed in the District within 10 minutes “Two gunpoint carjackings were reported in the District Tuesday night about a mile apart and within about 10 minutes of each other…Four people were said to be involved in the Florida Avenue carjacking and one in the 9th Street incident.”
Washington Post: Police arrest District worker who they say pulled shotgun during dispute “Police said the man did not point the loaded weapon at anybody, but the incident forced the treatment plant and the headquarters for the D.C. Water, located on the same property, into a 24-minute lockdown. The agency is located in the 5000 block of Overlook Avenue SW, across from the D.C. police training academy.”
Washington Post: Suspect in District robberies being investigated over others in Maryland “A convicted felon freed from prison three years ago and out on bail on a pending rape charge in Maryland was arrested Friday and is being investigated in a series of armed robberies of businesses in the District and Prince George’s County, according to court documents. D.C. police said David Flowers, 48, of Northeast Washington was charged with six counts of armed robbery and two counts of attempted armed robbery.”
WUSA9: Man wanted in SE, DC burglary, attempted sexual assault “The Metropolitan Police Department is searching for a suspect who is wanted for burglary and an attempted sexual assault that happened on Sunday morning in SE, D.C.”
Washington Post: Tires slashed on more than two dozen cars in Southeast DC “Some Southeast Washington residents awoke Sunday to discover that the tires on their vehicles had been slashed overnight. As many as 30 cars in Congress Heights were found with slashed tires.”
Washington Post: DC authorities investigate apparent suicide at city’s central cell block “D.C. authorities are investigating the death of a 46-year-old woman in the District’s central cell block. The D.C. Department of Corrections said Tawana Johnson was found dead in her holding cell of an apparent suicide at around 11:30 a.m. Sunday.”
NBC Washington: Dupont Circle nail tech Hung Nguyen accused of inappropriately touching clients “The incidents were reported at Color Nails and Spa on P Street NW near Dupont Circle. Court records say Hung Nguyen, who goes by the name “Tiger,” inappropriately touched three clients; one woman said Nguyen began to massage her shoulders following a pedicure and put his hand inside her shirt and pants.”
WUSA9: Man arrested in series of DC robberies “Metropolitan Police Department arrested a 38-year-old man in connection with a series of armed robberies in the District. Police arrested David Flowers, 38, of Northeast, D.C. Flowers is being charged with six counts of armed robbery and two counts of attempted armed robbery”
NBC Washington: DC elementary school teacher Leroy Damein Ware accused of child sex abuse “A Northeast Washington elementary school teacher was arrested Thursday on child sex abuse charges. Leroy Damein Ware, 33, is a teacher at Miner Elementary School in Northeast. According to D.C. police, Ware was arrested at the school on misdemeanor charges.”
Washington Post: Man fatally stabbed in Southeast Washington “A 46-year-old man was fatally stabbed Wednesday night in the Buena Vista neighborhood of Southeast Washington, according to D.C. police.”
Washington Post: 10 youths attacked woman in Columbia Heights, one of series of assaults “D.C. police are investigating a series of attacks involving juveniles in the Columbia Heights neighborhood, one involving a woman who authorities said was assaulted last month by 10 youngsters. Four juveniles have been arrested in connection with that assault; one of them was also charged in a robbery that occurred the next day.”
Washington Post: Twenty-five cars broken into at Howard U. lots on Wednesday “Twenty-five cars parked in Howard University lots were broken into early Wednesday morning. In an e-mail to students and staff, the university’s police department said the cars were parked in the North and South Banneker parking lots in the 2300 block of Sherman Avenue NW.”
WUSA9: 66-year-old man missing from NW DC “D.C. police are looking for a 66-year-old man who has been missing since Wednesday. Larry Lowe was last seen in the 1200 block of Taylor Street NW. He may be in need of medical attention, say police.”
Washington Post: Stabbing reported on Metro train at Federal Center SW “A man who stole a cellphone and then stabbed a man who tried to stop him was arrested at the Federal Center SW Metro stop, Metro Transit Police said.”
Washington Post: Indianapolis Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson arrested in DC “Indianapolis Colts linebacker D’Qwell Jackson was arrested in Northwest D.C. on Tuesday night after allegedly punching a man because the victim used Jackson’s parking space, according to a police report.”
Washington Post: DC police identify man fatally shot in SE “D.C. police have identified a man who was fatally shot in Southeast Tuesday afternoon, and said they are continuing to investigate the case. Police identified the victim as Navontae Howard, 19, of the District.”
Crime Tip of the Week
This past week, there were about 25 cars that were broken into at Howard University parking lots. Additionally, residents in the Congress Heights neighborhood woke up to find that as many as 30 of their vehicles had slashed tires. With this spike in motor vehicle related crime, here are a few tips for securing your vehicle:
Posted February 11 2015 at 5:26 PM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link