DC Crime Summary – January 21st – January 27th
DC police released a video of a gunman standing in the middle of a street in Congress Heights and shooting Kevin Owens, 22, on January 19th. While one suspect (22-year-old Markell Alston) has been arrested, authorities are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying the second suspect in video.
• Jerald Williams, 45, was found shot to death early Sunday morning at a restaurant near Howard University. No suspect information is available at this time.
• A security guard at a Safeway in Northeast was stabbed multiple times Friday morning. Police are searching for a male suspect who is balding, about 200 lbs., and was last seen wearing a brown jacket.
• There were three shootings in the District this past weekend and one of the victims was killed.
• A man was stabbed Monday night on the first floor of DC’s Martin Luther King Jr. Library. The victim was wounded in the neck and authorities are searching for a man last seen wearing a blue jacket and blue pants.
• A DC bar flight Saturday night led to a stabbing outside of the Takoma Station Tavern. According to police, the fight started inside the bar and continued outside when one person stabbed in the back.
• Mickey Crawford, 54, was charged with kidnapping and assault with intent to commit first-degree sexual abuse. According to reports, Mr. Crawford allegedly groped and tried to sexually assault a woman in Adams Morgan.
• An American University Professor, 38-year-old David Pitts, charged with breaking into an office building and setting several small fires has pleaded guilty to burglary. He will be sentenced March 20th.
• According to reports, basketball commentator Greg Anthony allegedly offered an undercover police officer $80 for sex at the Doubletree Hotel when he was arrested earlier this month.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
There were three shootings in the District this past weekend and one of the victims, 45-year-old Jerald Williams, was killed. • So far this year there have been 8 homicides and 10 instances of sexual abuse reported in the District. There were 5 instances of sexual abuse and 16 assaults with a gun reported this past week in DC. Assaults with a gun have increased by 73% compared to this time last year. • There were 700 total crimes in DC this past week including 99 violent crimes.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
Recent Crime News
WUSA9: Police seek person of interest in DC robbery “The Metropolitan Police Department is searching for a person of interest in connection to a robbery-force and violence incident. The incident took place in the 1100 block of 21st Street Northwest on Saturday, January 24th, police said.”
Washington Post: Video shows man opening fire in Congress Heights homicide “A surveillance video caught a gunman standing in the middle of a street and firing twice during what D.C. police described as an execution of a man killed in Congress Heights on the afternoon of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.”
Washington Post: Man charged in sexual assault of woman in Adams Morgan “Mickey Crawford, 54, who gave police a home address of a church on Wisconsin Avenue, was charged with kidnapping and assault with intent to commit first-degree sexual abuse. Crawford was being held Monday before his initial appearance in D.C. Superior Court.”
Washington Post: Man stabbed in downtown DC MLK Library “A man was stabbed Monday night inside the District’s main library, authorities said. Police said the victim was conscious and breathing after the 7 p.m. incident in the 900 block of G Street NW.”
NBC Washington: Jerald Williams, 45, found shot to death at DC restaurant near Howard University “A 45-year-old Maryland man was found shot to death near Howard University in D.C. early Sunday morning. Police say the shooting was reported just after 3 a.m. in the 2700 block of Georgia Avenue NW at Chuck and Billies restaurant. When crews arrived, they found Jerald Williams of Ellicott City suffering from a gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead on scene.”
NBC Washington: DC bar fight leads to stabbing early Sunday morning “The incident was reported outside the Takoma Station Tavern in the 6900 block of 4th Street NW. Police say a fight started inside the bar and continued outside when one person was stabbed in the back and another assaulted.”
Washington Post: Security guard stabbed at Safeway; 60 officers searching for suspect “A security guard was stabbed at a Safeway in Northeast Washington on Friday morning, D.C. police said…The suspect, described as a balding man, about 200 pounds, wearing a brown jacket, fled on foot toward Minnesota Avenue from the grocery store at 332 40th St. NE, Alali said.”
Washington Post: American University professor charged with setting fires pleads guilty to burglary “An American University professor who was charged with breaking into an office building and setting several small fires in September pleaded guilty Friday in D.C. Superior Court to burglary.”
WUSA9: Man shot on Howard Road in Southeast “D.C. police are investigating a shooting in Southeast D.C. Thursday afternoon. It Fire and EMS responded to a call at 1:59 and found an adult male with minor injuries in the 1400 block of Howard Road. Police are looking for a crime scene in the 1100 block of Howard Road. The man was taken to the hospital as a priority-one patient, according to officials.”
WUSA9: Caught on cam: DC police seek violent robbery suspects “D.C. police are asking for the public’s help identifying two persons of interest in a robbery force and violence offense that occurred in Northeast Washington. It happened Tuesday, Jan. 20 at approximately 7:42 p.m. in the 1300 block of Florida Avenue, police said.”
WUSA9: Woman shot in leg, 3 suspects wanted in DC “A woman was shot in Southeast D.C. on Wednesday night and police continue to look for the suspects. She was approached by three black males in the 700 block of 13th St. SE around 8:45 p.m., says a D.C. police spokesperson. The suspects began shooting at her, and she was struck in the leg.”
Washington Post: Man arrested in shooting incident aboard Metro bus “Metro Transit Police said they have arrested and charged a Southeast man who they believe was involved in the Monday night shooting of two passengers aboard a bus. Delonte Eric Brown of Washington was arrested Tuesday night in Prince George’s County.”
Washington Post: Marion Barry’s son charged with destruction of property “Marion Christopher Barry, the son of the late former D.C. mayor, pleaded not guilty in D.C. Superior Court on Wednesday to simple assault, threats and destruction of property after allegedly threatening a Chinatown bank teller and destroying a surveillance camera last week.”
NBC Washington: Shots fired during vigil for slain DC teen Philip Jones in Southeast “Philip Jones, 17, was shot and killed around 8:30 p.m. last Wednesday in the 3100 block of Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE following a basketball game between Ballou and Anacostia high schools… One week after the shooting, dozens of teens gathered in Southeast to honor Jones, but minutes into the vigil, someone fired shots. Luckily, no one was injured.”
Crime Tip of the Week
As winter continues, we can expect more snow to fall. If you are a pedestrian or a driver, remember to be extra cautious while there is precipitation. One small mistake can result in an accident so please keep in mind the following safety tips.
• Drivers should come to a complete stop at stop signs and crosswalks. A rolling stop can result in skidding if you are not careful.
• Pedestrians have the right of way at crosswalks. Drivers should be aware of this and be patient as pedestrians may travel slower in the snow.
• Drive at a slower pace then you normally would. Difficult winter conditions have led to many car accidents, especially when making turns.
Posted January 29 2015 at 3:13 PM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link