DC Crime Summary – January 7th – January 13th
• James Anderson, 27, was shot and killed Sunday night in Southwest. It was the third fatal shooting of the past weekend and fifth homicide in DC since the start of the New Year.
• Andrew Newman, 17, was shot and killed early Sunday morning in Northeast. The victim and a group of friends were leaving a party when they were attacked with a barrage of gunfire.
• Eduardo Carias-Martinez, 21, was shot and killed Saturday night in Columbia Heights.
• Marvin Stewart, 49, was stabbed and killed Thursday in Northeast. Brandon Bruce Franklin, 26, was arrested and charged with second-degree murder in the case.
• Friday, January 9th, was National Law Enforcement appreciation day. The DC Police Union would like to thank all of DC’s police who work hard to ensure our city is safe.
• The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating a Metro malfunction that resulted one person’s death and over eighty people hospitalized.
• An 18-year-old teenager was arrested Thursday night, after he walked into a Northeast police station with a replica gun that looked almost identical to a real handgun. Officers wrestled the gun away. The suspect allegedly used the replica to steal a car earlier in the night.
• Darren Patterson, 21, was arrested and charged Wednesday in the shooting death of Daniel Hilton, 21, in Petworth on December 23rd.
• A 19-year-old man wearing a mask walked into a Northeast 7-eleven and tried to rob the store, while two District detectives, dressed in plain clothes, were in the same convenience store. The DC police officers were able to apprehend the suspect and the suspect was charged with attempted robbery.
• District authorities ordered that the Foggy Bottom bar Zanzibar close, after a prolonged brawl resulted in a stabbing.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
There were 4 homicides over a 3-day period this past week in the District. Three of the four victims – Janes Anderson, 27, Andrew Newman, 17, and Eduardo Carias-Martinez, 21 – died in shootings over the weekend. The fourth victim, Marvin Stewart, 49, was killed in a stabbing Thursday night in Northeast. • So far this year there have been 5 homicides reported, which is 3 more than this time last year. There was 1 instance of sex abuse reported this past week in the District. • There were 537 total crimes in DC this past week including 85 violent crimes.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
Recent Crime News
WUSA9: Police release new video of McFadden’s stabbings “The Metropolitan Police Department has released new surveillance video of the three persons of interest in connection with an assault with intent to kill that took place on Dec. 27th at McFadden’s. The three persons of interest were captured by McFadden’s surveillance cameras.”
WUSA9: Suspect wanted in NE, DC homicide “Metropolitan Police Department is searching for a 24-year-old man in connection with a homicide that happened in NE, D.C. in November. Police are searching for Andre Joyner, 24, of NE, D.C. in connection with a homicide that happened on November 28, 2014 in the 700 block of 18th Street, NE.”
Washington Post: Police identify man shot in Southwest Washington as 27-year-old James Anderson “A man shot Sunday night a few blocks from Nationals Park and a D.C. police station has been identified as a 27-year-old from Southwest Washington, according to a police department spokesman. D.C. Officer Araz Alali said James Anderson was shot about 7 p.m. in the 1300 block of First Street SW. Police said on Sunday he had been hit several times. The area is just south of M Street Southeast, two blocks from the First District police station and the offices for homicide detectives.”
Washington Post: Surveillance video helps DC police capture man in package theft cases in Northwest “A vigilant homeowner with a surveillance camera and an alert a D.C. police officer teamed up over the weekend to arrest a man suspected of stealing packages left by delivery people outside several homes in Northwest Washington.”
Washington Post: Police say man tries to rob convenience store with detectives inside “D.C. police say a 19-year-old man wearing a mask walked into a 7-Eleven store popular with cops in Northeast Washington and “stated, loudly and clearly, ‘This is a stickup.’ ” Problem was, two District detectives were in the convenience store at the time. They were in plain clothes, but one had her badge dangling from her neck.”
WJLA (ABC News): Md. Semi-pro football player recovering from DC shooting “A local semi-pro football player who recently landed a scholarship is still recovering at an area hospital; 22-year-old Marcus Smith says he’ll have teach himself how to walk again after he was shot on Dec. 30, 2014.”
Washington Post: Teen shot and killed in Northeast DC “A group of teens was leaving a party at a Northeast Washington home early Sunday when assailants unleashed a barrage of gunfire that sent the young people scrambling for cover, a witness said, and left one teen dead.”
Washington Post: Hyattsville man shot and killed in Northwest DC “Officers responded to 14th and Monroe streets around 9:40 p.m. for a report of gunfire, said D.C. Police Lt. Sean Conboy. The officers were directed to the 3400 block of Holmead Place, where they found a victim suffering from gunshot wounds. Eduardo Carias-Martinez, 21, was transported to the hospital, where he later died, Conboy said.”
Washington Post: In Southwest Washington, man dies after being shot multiple times “A man was shot and killed in Southwest Washington on Sunday night, the third homicide over the weekend in the District. The latest shooting occurred about 7 p.m. in the 1300 block of First Street SW, police said.”
Washington Post: Reginald Klaiber pleads guilty to stabbing transgender teen at Metro station “Reginald Klaiber, 25, was charged with assault with a deadly weapon in the July 30 attack of the youth. Because prosecutors added a hate crime enhancement to the charge, Klaiber faces up to 15 years in prison.”
Washington Post: DC man is killed in domestic assault “Marvin Stewart, 49, was found suffering from stab wounds at about 11:37 a.m. on the 700 block of 19th Street NE. He died afterward at a local hospital, police said. Brandon Bruce Franklin, 26, of Laurel, Md., was arrested and charged with second-degree murder.”
Washington Post: Police search for robber who tried to sexually assault woman in Northwest DC “A homeless man robbed and tried to sexually assault a woman early Tuesday in downtown Washington, D.C. police said. The attack happened as the woman walked in the 1200 block of New York Avenue NW about 12:45 a.m. A man approached, robbed her and tried to sexually assault her, officials said in a statement.”
Washington Post: DC police arrest man in connection with Dec. 23 fatal shooting in Petworth “Police said that at the time Hinton was shot, he and another man were under investigation for the Sept. 21 shooting that wounded a man in the 4700 block of Seventh Street NW, near Sherman Circle. The victim from Seventh Street was shot in the face and arm, and police recovered 17 shell casings from 9mm and .45-caliber semi-automatic handguns.”
WUSA9: DC teacher charged with sex abuse to have hearing Friday “A D.C. teacher’s aide charged with sex abuse is set to have a court hearing Friday morning. Carla A. Norde, 27, was charged with second degree sexual abuse of a minor after being found in a car having sex with the 16-year-year-old victim.”
WUSA9: Man arrested in connection with DC homicide “Police have made an arrest in connection with a homicide that took place in Northwest D.C. Darren Patterson, age 21, of Northwest D.C. has been arrested in connection with the shooting death of Daniel Hinton, age 21 of Northwest.”
Washington Post: District man pleads guilty to attack on Northeast woman, stabbing her 20 times “A D.C. man pleaded guilty Wednesday to 10 charges associated with the 2012 attempted sexual assault and the violent attack of a Northeast Washington woman who was stabbed 20 times. Demarco Myles, 21, faces a statutory maximum of more than 67 years in prison for the Oct. 26, 2012 attack of a woman in her apartment in the 2300 block of Washington Place NE.”
WJLA (ABC News): Jared Kline, nurse accused of sexually assaulting female patients, due in DC court “A traveling male nurse from Falls Church accused of sexually assaulting female patients at four different D.C.-area hospitals is expected to appear in court Wednesday for a hearing…Prosecutors say they are willing to dismiss any additional charges if he agrees to certain terms. If he accepts the deal he faces a maximum of nearly three years in prison.”
NBC Washington: Metro reports decrease in alcohol-related citations “Metro officials said the agency has made progress in reducing the frequency of alcohol-related violations inside stations and trains. The agency deploys plain-clothes officers to help monitor and secure platforms. The I-Team’s review of agency crime reports and records show an approximately 30 percent decline in alcohol-related police citations by Metro transit police between 2013 and 2014, including a reduction in citations for public drunkenness.”
Crime Tip of the Week
NBC Washington reported this week that DC police have been stopping an alarming number of drivers who are distracted and not looking at the road as they drive. In fact, DC police have ticketed about 27,000 distracted drivers in the past three years. If you are driving in the city or are a pedestrian on the streets, keep in the mind the following tips:
• If a driver looks distracted (e.g. texting or on a phone call), keep your distance from the vehicle and report the incident to the authorities.
• If you are walking through a crosswalk, look both ways to make sure traffic has stopped in both directions. There have been several reported incidents of pedestrian – vehicle collisions reported this past year.
• DO NOT USE YOUR PHONE WHILE DRIVING.
Posted January 15 2015 at 3:35 PM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link