DC Crime Summary – December 3rd – 9th
• Anthony Leak, Jr., 37, was fatally shot Thursday afternoon, December 4th, near the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. The victim was found in a car and no suspect information is available at this time.
• Kevin Lamont Robinson, 46, was shot and killed in the Edgewood area December 1st.
• Heritage Jones, 21, was arrested Wednesday, December 3rd, in connection with the murder of Kirk Deangelo Perry, 50, Monday, December 1st. DC police believe the victim was shot after an argument over his dog.
• A 14-year-old was stabbed in the back in the Shaw neighborhood Thursday morning, December 4th. According to reports, the attackers robbed the victim of his Air Jordan shoes and cell phone before stabbing him.
• Dawit Seyoum, 29, was indicted Monday, December 8th, for first-degree murder of Carolyn Cross, the DC’s deputy director of corrections.
• Steven Sollera, 39, pleaded guilty Wednesday, December 3rd, to arranging to have sex with a child in DC on June 10th. He faces up to 30 years in prison for travelling across state lines to engage in sexual conduct with a minor.
• A woman and her child were carjacked at gunpoint at the New Carrollton Metro Station Sunday, December 7th. Authorities are investigating if the criminals used that same vehicle to attempt burglary a couple of hours later in Friendship Heights.
• Delores White-Hillard, 55, was reported as a “Missing Person Critical” on Friday, December 5th. She was last seen at 4400 Livingston Road SE, and she was wearing gray t-shirt, light blue jeans, and a Falcons jacket.
• DC police released a video of a burglary suspect jumping over a fence after he allegedly committed a robbery in Southeast Thursday, November 6th. Authorities are asking for the public’s help in identifying the suspect.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
Kevin Lamont Robinson, 46, was shot and killed in the Edgewood area December 1st. Police are investigating the incident and no suspect information is available at this time. • Anthony Leak, Jr., 37, was fatally shot Thursday afternoon, December 4th, near the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. He was found by first responders in a Cadillac, and no suspect information is available at this time. • There were 2 cases of sex abuse reported this week in the District, and there have been 4 more cases of sex abuse reported this year compared to the same time last year. • This past week, 691 total crimes were reported in DC including 93 violent crimes. • Total crime has increased by 8% and property crime has increased by 12% compared to the same time last year.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
* The 2013 homicide total includes the 12 victims of the Navy Yard mass shooting.
Recent Crime News
Washington Post: Man fatally stabbed, two people quickly arrested “A man was fatally stabbed in Southeast Washington on Tuesday morning, and two people were quickly arrested and charged in the killing. Police responded to the 1200 block of Southern Avenue SE, a block south of United Medical Center, at 10:04 a.m. There, they found Arthur Lee Gaither of Southeast Washington suffering from apparent stab wounds, according to police spokesman Hugh Carew.”
Washington Post: Women thwart separate attacks over weekend in Northwest Washington “Victims’ screams thwarted two attacks over the weekend in Northwest Washington — an attempted burglary in Friendship Heights and an attempted carjacking about 1.5 miles away near Rock Creek Park, according to D.C. police.”
WUSA9: Police: Man stabbed in DC “A man was stabbed in Northwest D.C. early Saturday morning, according to police. The stabbing occurred in the 600 block of H Street Northwest around 4: 40 a.m., police said. The man was transported to the hospital, police said. Police have not yet released the man’s condition. Police are still looking for a suspect and motive at this time.”
WUSA9: Missing: 55-year-old woman from DC “Delores White-Hillard was last seen on Friday, December 5th 2014 in the 4400 block of Livingston Road, Southeast. White-Hillard is described as a 55-year-old black female standing at about 5’4” and weighing about 165 pounds. White-Hillard has brown eyes and gray/black hair. She was last seen wearing a gray t-shirt, light blue jeans and a Falcons jacket.”
MyFoxDC: DC police investigating man found shot in car “Police are investigating after a man was found shot in a car near Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens in northeast Washington. The Metropolitan Police Department says the man was found Thursday at around 1 p.m. at the intersection of Anacostia Avenue NE and Ponds Street NE.”
Washington Post: FBI seeks bank robber wearing suit jacket who targeted District, Arlington “A man who robbed a Dupont Circle neighborhood bank on Thursday while wearing a grey suit and a scarf is also suspected of holding up a bank in Arlington, according to the FBI. The latest robbery targeted the Premier Bank in the 1600 block of 17th St. NW. The FBI said a man walked into the bank branch a few minutes before 4 p.m. and handed a note demanding money to a teller.”
Washington Post: Man fatally shot in car near park in Northeast Washington “A man was found fatally shot Thursday afternoon on a street that runs along Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens in Northeast Washington, according to D.C. police. The shooting occurred a few minutes before 1 p.m. in the 1500 block of Anacostia Avenue NE. Police said the victim was found in a car. No further details were released.”
Washington Post: Fourteen-year-old stabbed near Shaw station rides Metro train to escape attackers “A 14-year-old boy who was stabbed in the back Thursday morning in Northwest Washington’s Shaw neighborhood ran to a Metro train and rode two stops before getting help, according to D.C. police and Metro officials.”
Washington Post: Man fatally shoots another after argument over dog, DC police say “The man with the dog was identified as Kirk Deangelo Perry, 50, of Southeast Washington. Charged with second-degree murder was Heritage Rickey Jones, 21, who recently moved into the apartment complex. Their dispute, including the exchange of threats, is recounted in a police arrest affidavit filed in D.C. Superior Court on Thursday.”
Washington Post: Arrest made in Monday killing in Southeast Washington “Police arrested a suspect Wednesday in a killing that occurred in Southeast Washington early Monday. Heritage Jones, 21, was charged in the murder of Kirk Deangelo Perry, 50. Both men were residents of Southeast.”
WJLA (ABC News): DC police: 2 youths kidnapped man at gunpoint, forced him into trunk of car “Two armed teenage boys reportedly kidnapped a man near a D.C. intersection Tuesday evening and forced him into the trunk of his car, Metropolitan police said. The victim was able to free himself a short time later after the kidnappers got into a traffic accident with the car at Emerson Street and Georgia Avenue, according to MPD Lt. John McDonald.”
WUSA9: Caught on cam: DC burglary suspect hops fence “D.C. police are looking for a suspect who was caught on camera after a burglary on November 6. It happened between 9:57 a.m. and 9:57 p.m. in the 900 block of 11th Street, Southeast.”
Crime Tip of the Week
Holiday shopping season is upon us and it is important remember that thieves are on the lookout for shoppers who do not properly secure their purchases. Many people have fallen victim to pickpockets and stolen items during this time of year. Here are a few tips to help keep you safe during the holiday season.
• If you leave a recent purchase in a vehicle, as you continue to shop, leave it in your trunk or locked glove compartment. Leaving items in plain sight will increase your chances of theft.
• Most robberies of recent purchases happen when the victim is alone. If you can shop with a friend, we encourage you to do so.
Posted December 11 2014 at 4:40 PM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link