DC Crime Summary – November 26th – December 2nd
• Jamie Washington, 31, was fatally stabbed in a Benning Road alley Friday, November 28th. Police are investigating the incident and no suspect information is available at this time.
• Robert Damien Martson, 33, was found dead in an alley Sunday evening, November 30th. The investigation is ongoing.
• A 7-year-old girl was struck by a stray gunshot outside of her Southeast apartment Tuesday, November 25th. This is the fourth time a child from the District was hit by a stray bullet this year.
• A 16-year-old and a 17-year-old were shot in Northwest Monday morning, December 1st. The teenage victims were shot as they were walking to Dunbar High School, and the gunman was described as a 16-18 year old who was last seen wearing khaki pants and a gray hoodie.
• Two people, a man and a woman, were stabbed on Thanksgiving night, November 27th. Police do not believe the two incidents are related.
• Two teenage boys reportedly kidnapped a man in Petworth and forced him into the trunk of a car Tuesday evening, December 2nd. The victim was ultimately able to escape after the car was involved in a minor crash.
• Charles A. Young, a former coach at Dunbar Senior High School who was charged with first- and second-degree sexual abuse, was ordered to remain in jail.
• Esmeralda Lovos, a woman in a wheelchair, was struck by a hit-and-run driver in Northwest, Tuesday morning, December 2nd. The victim was taken to a local hospital and treated for non life-threatening injuries.
• DC police are searching for a black limousine with a DC tag (L5895), after a robbery suspect was seen in the vehicle Monday afternoon, December 1st.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
Jamie Washington, 31, was stabbed and killed in a Benning Road alley Friday, November 28th. No suspect information is available at this time. • Robert Damien Martson, 33, was found dead in an alley in the Bloomingdale neighborhood Sunday evening, November 30th, and DC police are investigating. There were 5 cases of sex abuse reported this week in the District, and there have been 8 more cases of sex abuse reported this year compared to the same time last year. • This past week, 684 total crimes were reported in DC including 119 violent crimes. • Total crime has increased by 8% and property crime has increased by 12% compared to the same time last year.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
* The 2013 homicide total includes the 12 victims of the Navy Yard mass shooting.
Recent Crime News
MyFoxDC: DC woman in wheelchair struck by hit-and-run driver “A D.C. woman says she could have died after being struck in her wheelchair by a hit-and-run driver. She was crossing New Hampshire Avenue at Taylor Street in Northwest D.C. at around 7 a.m. when it happened.”
Washington Post: DC high school coach charged with sexually assaulting students ordered held “Judge Robert E. Morin said there was preliminary evidence that Charles A. Young, 34, of Northeast Washington “took advantage of his position of trust and authority” at Dunbar Senior High School and ordered Young to remain in jail until trial.”
NBC Washington: Police release video of Panera pickpocket “D.C. Police released surveillance video of an alleged pickpocket at work a couple weeks ago. He walked into the Panera Bread restaurant on H Street NW near 6th Street and sat at a table shortly before 1 p.m. Nov. 10. While pretending to read a newspaper, he reached into the victim’s bag behind him and stole credit cards.”
WUSA9: Police investigate death of DC man found in alley “The man was found in the back of an alley of the 200 block of Florida Avenue, NW, around 7:37 p.m, authorities said. Police found 33-year-old, Robert Damien Marston of Washington unconscious and unresponsive, police said. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.”
NBC Washington: Two teens shot in downtown DC “Two teens were shot in downtown D.C. Monday morning. Authorities were called to the 1300 block of 6th Street NW Monday morning, where they found a 16-year-old in a parking lot near the intersection of 6th and O streets NW. He was shot in the back.”
Washington Post: Limousine lookout: DC police search for vehicle used in street robbery “D.C. police are on the hunt for a black limo with District license plate L5895 following a robbery outside a PNC Bank at Connecticut Avenue and Morrison Street, said Officer Hugh Carew, a police spokesman.”
Washington Post: Stranger said he killed Alexandria woman according to testimony “Seyoum, three police officers testified Monday, would soon say that he killed Cross and that he was angry at the world. On Monday, an Alexandria General District Court judge certified his case to be heard by a grand jury, which will likely indict the Alexandria man.”
Washington Post: DC police investigate several shootings in Southeast, Northeast “D.C. police are investigating several shootings that occurred in the city over the weekend and Monday morning, according to a department spokesman.”
Washington Post: DC man fatally stabbed in Benning Road alley just before midnight Friday “The victim was identified as Jamie Washington, 31, of Northeast Washington. He was found by police about 11:55 p.m. in the 1800 block of Benning Road. The officers were flagged down by a passerby, who alerted them to a man bleeding in an alley, police said.”
Washington Post: Two people stabbed in unrelated incidents on Thanksgiving night in the District “D.C. police said they are investigating two stabbings — one in Northeast and another in Southeast — that occurred Thanksgiving night. Both incidents took place around 11 p.m. but are not related.”
Washington Post: One man arrested, another being sought in robbery and sexual assault in Northeast “D.C. Police arrested one man and are looking for another after they allegedly robbed and sexually assaulted a woman in the early morning hours of Thanksgiving in Northeast…Police said they arrested Paul Xavier Williams of Northeast. He is charged with kidnapping, robbery and first-degree sexual assault while armed.”
NBC Washington: December a booming month for DC, VA bank robbers “In the last two Decembers in the District of Columbia and northern Virginia, federal authorities have noticed that bank robberies have boomed…Last December, there were 17 bank robberies in the District and northern Virginia, or 24 percent of the 73 committed in the region the entire year.”
Washington Post: Girl, 7, wounded by gunfire, calls assailants “very bad people” “Tuesday evening’s shooting marked the fourth time a District child had been hit by a stray bullet this year. All have survived, but two of the wounded children were rushed to hospitals in critical condition.”
Crime Tip of the Week
As holiday shopping begins, the FBI is warning consumers that this time of year is filled with online thieves. There are a number of ways that criminals may be trying to scam you. Keep these tips in mind during this holiday shopping season:
• Don’t click links or open and attachments in e-mails from unknown recipients. These links can lead to malicious software programs that automatically download on your computer and spy on what you do.
• Also, do not download mobile apps unless you are sure about who makes the program. Criminals are creating mobile apps, usually disguised as free games, that steal your personal information once the app downloads on your phone.
• Lastly, do not post pictures of tickets online. Thieves can use the image to create the same barcode and resell your admission.
Posted December 05 2014 at 4:16 PM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link