DC Crime Summary – October 8th – October 14th
• Breond Keys, 38, was shot and killed in a barbershop in Anacostia on Friday, October 10th. The suspect was last seen wearing a mask, and police are investigating the incident.
• Ricky Kelly, 29, was fatally shot Friday morning in Bellevue. Gregory Smithwick, 22, and Dominique Holmes, 23, were arrested and charged with first-degree murder.
• A man was stabbed in Fairlawn on Sunday, October 12th. The victim was taken to a hospital as a priority-one patient. An arrest has been made in this case.
• A man was shot in Marshall Heights on Wednesday, October 8th. The victim was taken to a local hospital and no suspect information is available at this time.
• Karie Brown, 20, pleaded guilty to shooting an 8-year-old girl on February 14th. He faces 14 to 21 years in prison.
• An emergency community meeting took place in Northeast after three people, including a 9-year-old boy were shot earlier in the month.
• A lieutenant issued a warning to residents of DC’s 2nd Police District on Thursday, October 9th, about an increase in burglaries this year. Shortly after the warning was issued, a string of four burglaries occurred in the area.
• A woman was sexually assaulted by a taxi cab driver in Brightwood Park on early Sunday morning, October 12th.
• A woman walking in Trinidad on Wednesday evening, October 8th, was stopped by a man armed with a gun and sexually assaulted. Police are investigating the incident and no suspect information is available at this time.
• Ten Catholic University students were robbed at gunpoint in Michigan Park on Thursday night, October 9th.
• Dominique Grines, 16, was reported as missing. She was last seen in Bowie on September 20th.
• DC Councilmember David Grosso proposed to take guns away from DC police and leave officers vulnerable in “life and death” scenarios that police face regularly.
Click here to receive daily crime and police news updates.
Breond Keys, 38, was fatally shot in a barbershop in Anacostia on Friday, October 10th, and Ricky Kelly, 29, was shot and killed in Bellevue on Friday morning. • There were 139 total crimes reported in the District this past week including 139 violent crimes. Total crime has increased by 6% compared to this time last year. • There were 8 cases of sex abuse, 225 thefts from automobiles, and 90 motor vehicle thefts reported this week. So far this year thefts from automobiles have increased by 13% and stolen automobiles have increased by 11% compared to this time last year.
Click here to sign up for news updates in your neighborhood.
Latest Crime Stats
* The 2013 homicide total includes the 12 victims of the Navy Yard mass shooting.
Recent Crime News
NBC Washington: 6th District rocked by violence “D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier admitted a string of violent shootings in the city’s 6th District have frustrated the department. The district has seen nine shootings in the past two weeks.”
NBC Washington: Shooting reported near Southeast DC middle school “Police say an individual was shot just a couple blocks from Kramer Middle School in Southeast. According to officials, crews were dispatched around 3:30 p.m. to the 1900 block of Q Street SE. The victim was conscious when officers arrived. No word yet on the extend of his or her injuries, or age.”
Washington Post: Suspects in killing in Southwest DC implicated victim in shooting of their friend “Two people arrested in the shooting death of a man in his Southwest Washington apartment Friday told police that the victim had killed their friend in the District last year, according to court documents filed by D.C. police.”
WJLA (ABC News): DC Police seek man in weekend sexual assault “Metropolitan Police say the victim was traveling between the 600 and 700 blocks of Kennedy Street NW between 2:30 and 3 a.m. when a man sexually assaulted her, leaving her with injuries… Police are investigating whether the man who assaulted her may have been a cab driver. They say the man was in a red, four-door car with a gray stripe.”
WUSA9: Man in hospital after stabbing in DC “A man was stabbed Sunday morning in the 1600 block of 18th Street, in SE, D.C., DC police said. The man was taken to the hospital as a priority-one patient, authorities said. An arrest has been made in the incident, police said.”
Washington Post: Burglars hit four homes in Washington area that police said was seeing uptick in crime “On Thursday, a lieutenant in Washington’s 2nd Police District issued an alert telling the community about an increase in burglaries in the area, one of Washington’s most prosperous.”
Washington Post: Man killed in barber shop in Anacostia in second homicide on Friday “The attack occurred shortly after 11:30 a.m. in the Kut Upp barber shop in the 1400 block of Good Hope Road SE. The victim was identified as Breond Keys, 38. It was not made clear whether he was a customer or employee.”
WJLA (ABC News): 2 arrested in deadly shooting at Southwest DC apartment “[P]olice arrested 22-year-old Gregory Smithwick of Northeast D.C. and 23-year-old Dominique Holmes of Southeast D.C., on charges of first degree murder. Both men are also charged in an armed carjacking that took place in the 2000 block of 37th Street SE about a half-hour before the fatal shooting.”
NBC Washington: 10 Catholic University of America students robbed in Northeast “Ten Catholic University of America students were robbed in northeast D.C. Thursday evening. According to a news release from the university, the incident was reported just before 6 p.m. in the 600 block of Taylor Street NE. The students were approached by two men, one of whom had a gun, who demanded their cell phones, wallets, backpacks and other personal property.”
WJLA (ABC News): ‘Hero’ DC police officers who rushed 9-year-old shooting victim to hospital share their story “The Metropolitan Police officers who rushed a 9-year-old shooting victim to the hospital in their cruiser exclusively told ABC 7 News why they took matters into their own hands to save his life.”
MyFoxDC: DNA closes violent 2012 Southeast DC rape case “Julius McBride is accused of following a woman out of a store and raping her at gunpoint in the summer of 2012. It is a case that would likely have gone unsolved had it not been for DNA and a computer that discovered the match.”
WUSA9: Man in hospital after being shot in DC “A man is in the hospital after being shot Wednesday night in the 400 block of 51st St SE, D.C., Metropolitan Police Department said.”
MyFoxDC: Community meeting held after recent shooting of 9-year-old boy at Northeast DC apartment complex “There was an emergency community meeting at a Northeast D.C. apartment complex following the shooting of three people, including a 9-year-old boy who was shot in the head.”
Washington Post: Man pleads guilty in shooting that critically injured 8-year-old girl on Valentine’s Day “A District man shooting at a suspected marijuana dealer he was trying to rob in Southeast Washington pleaded guilty Wednesday to critically wounding an 8-year-old girl hit by a stray bullet from his gun, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.”
WJLA (ABC News): ISIS graffiti in Northwest DC puts FBI on alert “With the FBI on alert for home-grown terrorists, the agency is monitoring troubling cases of vandalism in Northwest D.C. that seem to express support for so-called Islamic State militants. Graffiti on a traffic camera at the busy intersection of Connecticut Avenue NW and Calvert Street NW reads, in Arabic, “Allah Akbar” followed by “ISIS,” referring to the terror group.”
Crime Tip of the Week
Driving safely is a priority for DC police officers, especially since we have started a new year of school. In order to prevent yourself from getting in an accident and to ensure your safety, please keep in mind the following roadway rules:
• Do not exceed the speed limit. There are photo enforcement cameras stationed around the district, and people who are caught speeding will get ticketed.
• A pedestrian crossing the intersection has the right of way.
• DO NOT USE YOUR CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING.
Posted October 16 2014 at 4:39 PM by DC Police Union News | Permanent Link